• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Wisdom tooth socket

D

Diane Blakemore

So I had my wisdom tooth taken out a week ago I went to the dentist today due to pain, he put a dressing on the socket to help but my breath is still bad after a few days I had to brush my teeth after seeing him but I’m worried if that was the wrong thing to do I was told not to spit which I didn’t do but now I’m worried if i have made it worse 😳

Last edited:
Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Diane,

I just saw this. I don't think that brushing your teeth did any damage, on the contrary - not brushing them would surely have had. It's been few days since you posted here so you probably called your dentist if thing didn't get better, but wanted to check in to ask how you're doing?

D

Diane Blakemore

Hi Diane,

I just saw this. I don't think that brushing your teeth did any damage, on the contrary - not brushing them would surely have had. It's been few days since you posted here so you probably called your dentist if thing didn't get better, but wanted to check in to ask how you're doing?

Hiya
Well nothing has really changed it’s the same but with a dressing so im just taking pain killers. My dentist said I should be healed in 2 weeks max but I’m still experiencing discomfort not sure what more to do or just wait and see if it improves on time. I’m back to my usual diet as I felt I could eat more food as long as it’s not the same side as the extraction site I’m just hoping the swelling and redness goes down

D

Diane Blakemore

Hi
It’s been nearly 2 weeks since I had the tooth out, I’ve now had some bleeding from the stitches I noticed before I went to bed so I salt water rinsed my mouth out and left it. I went back to my normal diet should I go back to the soft food diet? It isn’t hurting but it’s slightly uncomfortable

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are no rules as to what to eat and when as everyone recovers on a different speed. Your intuition may be the best indicator here. I wouldn’t be too alarmed by the bleeding - from reading around, it can bleed slightly even weeks after an extraction. You could also still call your dentist to ask what to do.