• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth surgery - I DID IT!!!

F

FinnishGirl

I've already written something to my support thread, but this will be a longer explanation on how I overcame my fear of dental procedures. I'll also include some things I've already written somewhere, because not everyone who reads this has read everything I've written earlier.

I'm 18 years old, and I have a fear of medical procedures and injections in general, but everything about dentists is a lot more awful to me than any other procedure. Or was... I don't think I have any bad experiences, more fear of the unknown. But still a real problem.

I've always taken good care of my teeth, and no dentist has ever done anything major to me. Last summer I heard that my lower wisdom teeth have to be removed at some point if they don't erupt completely, but not yet as I didn't have any problem with them. Until May this year. The area around my left lower wisdom tooth became very sore, and Google told me that my symptoms were a reason to remove the tooth. I contacted the only dentist clinic (private, quite big, lots of dentists) in town that offers general anesthesia, as I knew fron last summer that the public dentist service doesn't. I got an appointment for oral surgeon to May 22.

A couple of days later the tooth was so sore I called again to go to show it to someone. I got a dentist appointment. I went there, terrified even though I knew she was just going to look at it. She did, and she said there was an infection. Would I like to go to the oral surgeon sooner? Oh yes, to talk. I want GA. She explained to me that it was possible, BUT... 1) they had booked an operation room in the local private hospital on June 6th, and on June 9th I'd start at my summer job 2) I would have all my wisdom teeth removed at the same time if I chose GA. I started to think about things. GA wouldn't be a sensible choise in this situation. I called my mum, who encouraged me a lot, and so I agreed to have the operation with local anesthesia but I wanted diazepam (Valium, I guess) for that. I got a new appointment to May 15, for the operation.

When I was back at home, I felt definitely not confident. What on earth made me believe I could do it? Why did I let the dentist talk me into doing it? What if the diazepam wouldn't work enough? What if I'd panic during the operation? What if I'd grab the surgeon's arm and he'd cut me in the wrong place? What if... This went on for a couple of days, but then I started feeling better and think about other things as well.

Let's jump in time and land to the day before yesterday, Wednesday May 14th. In the evening, when mum told me to choose comfortable clothes for the op, it all became so concrete and unavoidable to me and I started to panic a lot. The evening was quite awful. I was allowed to take my first diazepam tablet (5mg) to get some sleep, and it really worked. 20 minutes after taking it, I started to shake. I had been so tense for a long time and the drug relaxed me. I shaked for a few minutes, then I felt relaxed and calm and fell asleep.

The Day: The morning was ok, with the last drug molecules still in my system. About 11 o'clock I started to worry. I just counted hours to the op (at 3.15 pm). An hour before, at 2.15 pm I took 10mg diazepam and 600mg ibuprofein (no idea about trade name in other countries) and then I went with dad to the dentist clinic. In the waiting room I didn't panic because of my medication. I read old magazines and laughed at jokes I never considered funny before. Then I almost fell asleep... and about 5 minutes too late, at 3.20 pm, I was called in.

I was a tiny little bit exited, but diazepam had taken away about 85% of my anxiety. The oral surgeon was a really nice guy. He took a quick look at my teeth, and then he started. I told him the local anesthesia was the bad part for me, as I don't like needles. He said "Well, it would be very weird to like them. Now close your eyes and open your mouth.". And he injected. It didn't hurt at all. A lot less than a blood draw for example. I thougt he was doing some prepapations when he said "OK, that was the first one." I got five injections. Two of them hurt a little. The assistant held her hand at my shoulder and the surgeon told me to breathe normally, so I survived them as well. And the operation itself... it was so easy! I had felt absolutely nothing, exept a bit of stretching my lip at one point, when the lower tooth was out. Then he pulled my upper wisdom tooth as well. It was even quicker and easier. I felt something, but no pain. Then it was over. I was in the room for 10 to 15 minutes!

The pain afterwards isn't bad either. I take naproxen for the pain, and it helps really well. I've eaten ice cream, yoghurt and kiisseli (there is no proper English translation for that, it's a Scandinavian traditional dessert, a bit like thick soup, it's made of juice, potato flour and berries or fruit). Today's lunch will be baby food, made for 6 month old babies so no teeth needed.

So, anyone who is going to have wisdom tooth surgery, don't be afraid! Of course I can't promise every case to be as simple as mine, but anyway. During the operation, on scale 0 to 10 the worst pain was about 1,5. Now I feel I'm a real hero :) I'm glad I didn't insist on GA, now I remember the operation which wasn't bad at all. And I'll never be afraid of the dentist again!

This video gave me a lot of courage:

I don't know why. It's the Swedish eurovision song "Hero" with pictures from Disney movie heroes. Also it felt good to hear "I will survive" from the radio in the waiting room. I've prayed a lot, and I feel God helped me, but He helped me also through Valium. I would recommend it for anyone whose fear isn't super-extra-mega-bad but not so small either.

No more :hidesbehindsofa: - I DID IT!!!

Finnishgirl
I'm so pleased it went so well for you. Just as dental injections can be painless so can blood draws - it helps if you relax basically and if the people doing it have good technique.
You have a good point...that your teeth are healthy and yet still you have to face wisdom tooth extraction and it's scary - another one of those procedures like root canals which get such a bad press and usually unfairly so.....I had mine done under GA many moons ago so you are braver than me...congratulations and here's to a speedy recovery :party: :jump: :grouphug: :sleepyjuice:

I'm so, so happy I didn't choose GA or anything else that would have made me forget the whole thing. In that case I would still be scared. Now I know it's not that horrible. And I'm so proud of meself that it's almost a sin...

Today I heard my high school final exam results. Incredibly good, there aren't many in Finland better than me. I haven't really been :cloud9: about that yet, because I'm feeling so incredibly great about overcoming my fear. That was a lot tougher to me than reaching top grades at school.

WOW, great job! I'm envious but happy for you.:jump:

I am so very happy for you Finnishgirl. Straight in without any form of sedation or calming to relax the nerves. I think you're terrific. I know I couldn't have done it. It's not important to me to conquer my fear as long as I know there are different sedation methods to get me through. You have every reason to be proud of yourself, and also congratulations on your results. What a star you are!:grouphug:

Scaredstiff: Read a bit better, I'm not that good... Valium is. But did you mean the part it hadn't had any effect yet when I entered the waiting room? Well... it's good I remember the operation. Not too much drugs.

I meant that you were good to not want GA. Forgot you took valium, and that is really good. But I wanted also to congratulate you on your good exam results.

I'm so, so happy I didn't choose GA or anything else that would have made me forget the whole thing. In that case I would still be scared. Now I know it's not that horrible. And I'm so proud of meself that it's almost a sin...

Must be that Finnish modesty ;D - of course you should feel very, very proud of yourself :cloud9:! Well done :jump::jump::jump:!!!

Well done!! I am having 8 teeth out soon and last time I came on I read a horroe strory abt it so I needed to hear that!!!
I am going under IV and am still very scared so for you to do it under local - you are amazing!!! send some of that courage to Australia for me!!!
M:cheers::jump:;D

UPDATE: 10 days since operation, no painkillers, no eating problems at all. Feeling great. Not at all like the bad reputation these operations have, not afterwards either. Fantastic!

I've lived 10 days as an ex-phobic and this is so cool! No big "what if" in my head. I feel so free. Of course, after a lifetime as a general medical coward with dentistry as fear nr one, there are still some procedures I'm afraid of. But now I'm a Valium fan, I really trust those little innocent-looking pills. If I had to go through some of those rare things I'm still afraid of (not very likely to happen), I'll just take some valium and do it like anyone else. I feel like I can do anything!

I recommend everyone: don't take stronger stuff than Valium, if and when the experience is great you'll want to remember it your whole life.

Ahh! :)

Congratulations!
You did so well, I can only hope I'll do that well.

I have to my wisdom teeth out as soon as I get a refresh on my insurance and I've chosen to do it with just a LA, to cut down on the cost. Reading your story gives me so much confidence that I can get through it :)

Thanks for sharing and congratulations once again!

Wow! I'm truly ex-phobic!

Hi again!

I start a new thread this time, because this is a new success. When I had my left side wizzies removed, I was told that the other ones will be taken out in the autumn. I have a very busy situation right now, I'm summer working in a place pretty far from the dentist station I go to, I wouldn't want to have sick leave from my dream job, and a week after my work ends, I start university studies and I move to a bigger city, away from my parents. So I had just one good day in mind when I can have my op and heal after it before the university begins, and I had to call already to make sure I wouldn't miss the day.

I made the call... no butterflies in my tummy, no fast heart beat, no hyperventilating, no almost-paic-attack. Wow! That was the first time! And now it's the first time for having an appointment booked and I feel none of the symptoms listed abowe. Double wow! I'm just not scared anymore! The same oral surgeon will do the same operation, it didn't hurt then so I trust this time will be just as fine. I don't think I'll be taking any Valium this time. Why should I, if I don't panic?

My D-Day is 18th August, if anyone's interested. I'll post then and tell how it was. Now I may leave this site and think about other stuff and also try to spend less time online. Notice the word may... I may just as well be back here tomorrow to support others. Maybe I can't leave this fantastic site!

Re: Wow! I'm truly ex-phobic!

CONGRADULATIONS:jump:

What an inspiration you are to me and others.

If you do leave Just make sure to come back real soon because this wonderful site needs you;)

:respect:

Wow, you are so brave!

I have an appointment for an initial consultation with the oral surgeon next Tuesday(my wisdom teeth need removing too), and I'm petrified. Although I have been reading a lot about the procedure, both on this board and on the net, I still don't really know what to expect.

Here's to hoping that everything goes smoothly for you second time around too! :thumbsup:

Katx

Back