• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth today....

B

BSADrew

Went for my check up this morning & the Dentist mentioned that my three remaining wisdom teeth still need to come out (been putting this off & worrying about it for years). I'm 44 BTW. Anyway - he tells me he has a free slot at 0945, so I reluctantly decide to go for it.

In goes the local anaesthetic then after 15 mins fretting in the waiting room, I'm back in the chair for the biggest non event of my life.

Little bit of pressure & some creaking & one is out, no pain, no discomfort - nothing. Must have taken all of 5 seconds.

Three hours later the LA has worn off, little bit of blood in my saliva, but no pain (took a couple of Ibuprofen as precautionary measure).

Cant believe I fretted so much & made myself (literally) ill instead of getting this done. As soon as this has healed up - I'll be back to get the others done, with less concern than I would for having a small filling.

In the words of Blackadder "I was more wounded, the last time I trimmed my toenails!":)

Really chuffed that this all went so well for you, and you have walked away with a positive experience, and very little pain. Hope the rest are just as good.

Kim

Please let me know how it goes with the others. I also have a question.... Is the tooth you had removed an upper or lower? I'm also 44 years old and am going to have my bottom wizzies out. I'm scared to death! Any info would be appreciated.

I too have waited almost 14 months and I am terrified beyond control. I am 47 and was told by 4 dentists (2 surgeons, family dentist and TMJ dentist) that it would be a piece of cake. How did you get through it? Which tooth was it? I am having the one in the upper no nerve roots at all. Just so scared and living in hell for these past few months. Now I am experiencing some expected pain and feel it is time!!! Let me know if you are still on!

Went for my check up this morning & the Dentist mentioned that my three remaining wisdom teeth still need to come out (been putting this off & worrying about it for years). I'm 44 BTW. Anyway - he tells me he has a free slot at 0945, so I reluctantly decide to go for it.

In goes the local anaesthetic then after 15 mins fretting in the waiting room, I'm back in the chair for the biggest non event of my life.

Little bit of pressure & some creaking & one is out, no pain, no discomfort - nothing. Must have taken all of 5 seconds.

Three hours later the LA has worn off, little bit of blood in my saliva, but no pain (took a couple of Ibuprofen as precautionary measure).

Cant believe I fretted so much & made myself (literally) ill instead of getting this done. As soon as this has healed up - I'll be back to get the others done, with less concern than I would for having a small filling.

In the words of Blackadder "I was more wounded, the last time I trimmed my toenails!":)

The first was the upper. I went back & had one of the lowers done a couple of months back - exactly the same story - was possibly even quicker than the top one, he did it so quickly it was really just a blur, again zero issues.

I went for my check up today & actually reminded the dentist about my remaining Wisdom tooth - that's now coming out tomorrow evening.

I'm that relaxed about getting this done now that I actually keep forgetting about it - I would have been at the point of nausea even thinking about it 12 months ago.

My advice is - dont be bullied into getting them all done at once if you dont want to, get one of the uppers done first & you'll be amazed at how simple, painless & hassle free it is.

Worked for me, & touch wood, I'll be free of the bl**dy things completely by this time tomorrow!

Back