• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth worries

R

RBrown79

Hello, I used to post on here under the name Mariner109. I forgot my password though, and when I tried to look it up it said I wasn’t a member, so I re-registered. You can still find my old posts though. Since I had that last filling I’m sorry to say I’ve only been back to a dentist once. If you read my past posts, as Mariner109, you’ll see I had a molar filled, but that the filling went all the way to edge, enamel (?), of the tooth and that it was very fragile. Well, of course I broke it accidentally biting down on an unpopped popcorn kernel. So the last time I’ve been to a dentist was to get that repaired, over two years ago.

My bottom left wisdom tooth had come out completely now. The last dentist I went to suggested I get them out, although that was before it came all the way through the gums. Is it too late to have them removed? I’m still really nervous about having it done, and have been putting it off for over two years now, or even going to a dentist. I know if I go they’ll tell me to have them removed, and I don’t’ think I can handle hearing that again, even though it’s probably true. I’ve been taking extra care to keep it clean back there. I even got a spinbrush so I can get behind the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] molar easily. However, there are days when it really bothers me back there. I don’t know if there’s actually something wrong, or if I, knowing I should have my wisdom teeth out, am imagining there are problems. Some days it feels like the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] molar has pressure on it, some days it feels like the gums between the two teeth is being pinched. On top of it, knowing that it’s there I have this compulsive habit to constantly run my tongue over it and every time I feel the gums surrounding the wisdom tooth and start to worry all over that there’s something wrong. Don't know how good the picture is, but I'm attaching one below. (As a neat sideline, you can see that filling that I had previously done and the work that was done after I cracked it. Nearly half the tooth is filling now.)

There’s good news and bad news. The bad news is I’ve moved since my last dental visit, nearly halfway across the country, so I won’t be able to go back to the dentist I was seeing before. The good news is I am now working full time and have dental benefits. I just don’t know if they’ll cover sedation. I know I’ll need that as I can’t even have my teeth cleaned without nitrous.

I suppose I don’t have a really good question here, and am not sure what I’m looking for. But perhaps someone who’s been in a similar circumstance can offer some words of advice on what I should do.

tooth.JPG

Hi and welcome back. Try emailing a few of the dental practices near to you or in areas that you can travel to, explain how you feel and the problems you are having. See what comes back from them, if any of them appeal to you then you can contact them and see how it goes on a first visit. If you don't feel comfortable with the dentist you see leave and find another one.

It is so important to have an understanding dentist that you feel can help you to help yourself get treatment. The good ones want to help and will move at a pace to suit you and not rush you into things you are not ready for.

Good luck:clover::clover::clover:

Back