• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdoms to come out

L

Luxuria

So I got a referral today to an oral surgeon. I am supposed to call and make an appointment for a consultation and DONT WANT TO DO IT!

I have all 4 wisdom teeth, impacted in the bone. My dentist said that they will "send me to happy land" for the procedure. I don't want to be 100% asleep. So will they use the gas and some sort of oral sedative? Or will there be an IV involved and oxygen and heart monitors? This is getting all to real and frightening for me. I dont even have an appointment yet and am already having panic attacks and just want to cry. My fiance may take the day off work and go with me, will he be able to be in the room while I have it done? I'm so scared that I will have a massive panic attack if he's not allowed to come in and I'll just break down and cry in the office, or more likely in the car on my way there. :scared: :cry:

Also, I have a nose ring. Will they make me take that out? It's new and I can't so taking it out is not really an option.

I really need some support, I'm SO scared. :hidesbehindsofa:

It could be a pill or I.V. but your not really asleep asleep...Its more drowsy and comfortable.You probably wont even remember it either. I did the Iv with my wisdoms and would not change that for anything. Yes they put a little heart monitor on your finger that measures your oxygen and heart rate but thats just to keep an eye on you. If you talk to your dentist they should let your fiancee come in with you. I'm not sure on the nose ring though. Honestly , you hear all kinds of horror stories about wisdom teeth but it wasnt NEARLY as bad as what you think its going to be....Traci

Thanks Traci  :)

I haven't made my appointment yet, I called today and the office is closed.

I'm doing ok today but I get waves of panic and I just want to cry. I've never had an IV before and really dont want one.  :scared: I know it will help SO MUCH to have my fiance in the room. He was there for my root canal and I couldn't have done it alone.  :XXLhug:

I'm trying my best to be positive about it but my panic attacks can be so bad at times. Mainly over anything medical and I get edgy when in large crowds.  I'm trying my best to convince myself that I will be ok and that I need to have this done before the wedding because I dont want to be in pain that day or have them flare up over the honeymoon and be in an emergency situation.  :scared:

I'll try to pop back on and keep everyone updated, hopefully there will be some extra support out there for me. My mom had hers out a loooong time ago and procedures were much different then. My dad still has his. Friends & cousins my age either have them still or my best friend, she only had one wizzie so her procedure was nothing compared to mine. My fiance has his as well. So I dont really know what to do or where to turn for help.  :(

Hopefully once I am there and am sedated I will be fine, it's just every moment leading up to that exact time that is going to be hard on me. I'm scared of what will happen, what it will be like. I'm scared of getting the panic attacks, I'm scared that I will be so upset that I will cry all the way there or not even be able to go. Or if I do go that I will have a breakdown in the office and make a complete idiot out of myself.
:hidesbehindsofa:  :shame:  

Heya, the whole medical thing will set my panic into motion BIG time...Thats my main set off point. About the I.V. I have had PLENTY...(before my diagnosis of panic/anxiety attacks i though Heart Attack and kept running to the ER...lol) Anyways, between having my little ones and all my lovely panic attacks I have had more IVs than I care to count. They arent that bad. Only a little pinch and your done!!! Ok, when I went in for my teeth they put my IV in and I was sooo scared and the dentist said lets just wait a minute for you to calm down and then I will put the sedative in. So we sat there talking and the next thing I know I was waking up to go to the bathroom....No pain, no nothing!!! It was excellent!!! Ask the dentist if you can take a xanax or something the night before and the morning of to keep you calmer. The biggest part of that for me was GETTING IN THERE!!! Your going to do wonderfully!!! Now, if I can go get my butt in that chair I will be doing good!!! LOL!!! TTYL Traci

You sound just like me Traci. Thanks so much for your replies. :) I haven't made my appointment yet, the office is closed this week.

People dont understand how I can be so scared of the dentist but yet I have 9 tattoos and getting them done doesn't scare me at all. :p No IV's involved in tattooing though and they're a personal choice that I WANT to do, something I HAVE TO do. You know?

My panic attacks are terrible over medical stuff. I don't even go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. :scared: I will ask if there is something they can give me for that, I'd be all up for it if I can. The hardest part for sure will be getting my butt into the office. I know I'm just letting my fears get the best of me, but it's SO HARD at times to keep it in check. I know I have to get this done though because if I needed emergency work right before my wedding that would be worse than anything.

Not feeling so great today.
:hidesbehindsofa:
Been having panic attacks all morning thinking about these teeth. I don't even have an appointment yet and I'm terrified! I started wondering if maybe I have TMJ and that is what is causing the pain, not the wisdoms. I'm just fooling myself. :( I'm terrified about just going in for the consultation! If they dont allow my fiance to come in either when I have them out, I don't know what I'll do. I can't do this without him.

Luxuria! don't panic! i know it is easier said than done!
I can relate!
I'm still recovering from my extractions but it is not bad at all.

How about getting a prescription for Xanax? it is an anti-anxiety medication, and honestly that's what made me "ok" with the all thing. Initially, when i made my appointment, I was going through the same thing "panic". I started taking the xanax 4 days before just to be able to sleep and not have those waves of anxiety. The other thing that helped me, is that I let myself be scared and I cried many times... if you are trying to be too brave you will be more anxious.
When I got there, they gave my nitrous o. gaz, and that was great! after that you don't care. I know it is hard to understand when you haven't gone through it. Take it from me, a true phobic, it was fine, and remember you'll have no memories, or any sense of time. You will be taking a nice nap!
hope this helps you! :grouphug:

Hi Raspberry

Thanks for your reply. :) I am going in today at 3pm for the consultation. I have been waiting a month for the appointment. Seems like he is very busy! I'm nervous but not too bad since it will only be x-rays today. I'm just nervous because I have a hard time with dentists. I just found a regular dentist that I really like and am ok with getting fillings and all that but now I have to see someone new and go through all that again.

I will ask about something I can take for the anxiety. You sound just like me! The waves of panic, I get that a lot. I get sick a lot too, I was wondering if maybe the teeth are the cause. The one thing I do know is that I want to get this over with before my wedding so I don't have to think about it anymore. It's just getting myself in there and getting it done that is the hard part. :scared:

How are you feeling today? I'll be sure to come back and let you know how my appointment went today.

:XXLhug:

hi Luxuria!

Good for you! you made the appointment! that's really great!
I'm doing good today, just a little pain but very light. I'm going back to work today :) I'm actually glad to get back into my routine.

For me, what helped too, is that I reminded myself over and over than I am in control at all times! if there is something I don't like about the dentist, or whatever you are the one who decides what happens!

Let me know how your appointment goes.... it will be fine, and it is a great time to ask all of the questions you have... I'm sure the dentist, just like mine, will reassure you!
good luck keep me posted!

and congratualtions on your wedding!

Aurora :)

Back