• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wish List

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
My dentist is awesome and I wouldn't trade her for anything but I have read about many things on the web and this forum and thought "WOW! I wish my dentist had that!" :(.

So in light of the season, this is my dental wish list:
1) The Dental Button-although the stop signal is satisfactory, I still want it! :p

2) The Wand-although she always gives painless injections and I really don't have an issue with them, I think it would just help me mentally.

3) A therapy dog-why you may ask? I think the real question is why not?! (Thanks to Mikey Boy for inspiring me to start this thread! :thumbsup!:)

Things I'd like to try/explore:
1) Laser dentistry (WITH local anesthetic)-I have read over and over that it doesn't require local but I'm very skeptical and not having it would only increase my anxiety. Anything to cut down on drilling is anything worth trying in my book.

2) Laughing gas-my dentist doesn't offer it which is a little surprising to me. I'm not a fan of sedation but I think it would help me quite a bit with taking the edge off especially at the beginning of procedure appointments when I'm most anxious. I had this once when I was 3 but don't recall much about the experience...so perhaps it did it's job?! :rolleyes:

That's all that I can think of for now. What's your wish list?

Therapy dog is such a good idea

Yes! My dog is a therapy dog. I could just bring my own. My dermatologist brings her dog to the office. You have to request him if you want him to come in with you, and he's not there every day, but I always ask if he's around.
I once told my dentist she should figure out how to pipe in better smells, like cookies or something. Now she's on a different floor, but on the other floor, you had to walk through the area with the chairs to get to the waiting area. I'd always hold my breath and go through really fast.

Nicer smells definitely ! Better than the 'oil of cloves' smells that greet me as I walk in the door......ugh.
Maybe scented candles or something.
I'd love a speaker that I could 'bluetooth' my playlist to.....not sure they would appreciate my eighties music though....:giggle:
Weirdly...I would sometimes like to see inside my mouth with one of those intra oral cameras so that I could see what the dentist was doing or had done. Not that I'm obsessed with my teeth or all things dental ....no, not at all....:giggle::p
Coolin

If you want you can buy very cheap cameras to look inside your mouth on ebay. Under 100 $ US while the one I use was 3500$ on sale!

I wish teeth were like hair or finger nails and then we could just maintain them easily. :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:

As this is not the case a patient considerate dentist that gives painfree treatment is in order.

1. Definitely a therapy dog. . OR, at least the permission to bring in my own cat or guinea pig to cuddle and pet during the appointment.;)

2.The Wand would be nice. The look of needles really gets to me, even if the injections are relatively painless. If I could not see anything that resembles a needle that would alleviate one of my biggest triggers.

3.sealants on my teeth? I remember getting them as a kid, but I have read (a few diff. sources) that they are kind of useless for adults, and they're often not covered by insurance either. I brush and floss every day, but anything that helps keep more cavities from forming would be nice- especially since the procedure doesn't require any needles.

1. Definitely a therapy dog. . OR, at least the permission to bring in my own cat or guinea pig to cuddle and pet during the appointment.;)

2.The Wand would be nice. The look of needles really gets to me, even if the injections are relatively painless. If I could not see anything that resembles a needle that would alleviate one of my biggest triggers.

3.sealants on my teeth? I remember getting them as a kid, but I have read (a few diff. sources) that they are kind of useless for adults, and they're often not covered by insurance either. I brush and floss every day, but anything that helps keep more cavities from forming would be nice- especially since the procedure doesn't require any needles.

I can't say that I'm terrified of injections or even seriously bothered by them and I never actually see the needle (I keep my eyes open) but I can always see the top of the syringe with the thumb plunger part and have a brief moment of (OMG!!!!:o) just before the injection. Once the initial stick happens I'm okay. I'm tense and by no means relaxed but I'm "okay." Sometimes depending on where it is, my dentist will do a shorter initial injection to get me a little numb and wait a few minutes and go back and do the rest to ensure that I don't feel anything when she injects all of the LA but it is more mental discomfort than physical discomfort so I don't know if breaking it up into multiple injections helps me :confused:. I am usually a lot more relaxed for the injections that come after the first one though knowing I definitely won't feel it.

I have also wondered about the sealants and why they don't put them on adult teeth. They have to do some good ...any protection is better than no protection right? and why can't they develop better sealants suitable for adult teeth...actually, it's the adult teeth that get sealants just after they grow in so it's actually the same teeth. Why not replace the sealants when they break off if there is no decay yet? It's got to be better for the teeth than drilling them all of the time for cavities and it's a much more pleasant procedure for sealants than fillings (and probably less expensive for insurance purposes and out of pocket purposes). I remember getting sealants as a kid on my baby teeth and my new adult teeth when they came in and it was easier than a cleaning. Painless and preventative...what more could you ask for?

I have also wondered about the sealants and why they don't put them on adult teeth. They have to do some good ...any protection is better than no protection right? and why can't they develop better sealants suitable for adult teeth...actually, it's the adult teeth that get sealants just after they grow in so it's actually the same teeth. Why not replace the sealants when they break off if there is no decay yet? It's got to be better for the teeth than drilling them all of the time for cavities and it's a much more pleasant procedure for sealants than fillings (and probably less expensive for insurance purposes and out of pocket purposes). I remember getting sealants as a kid on my baby teeth and my new adult teeth when they came in and it was easier than a cleaning. Painless and preventative...what more could you ask for?

According to what i read, sealants are used on adult teeth when they come in. They can be applied again to the teeth if the teeth do not have any fillings, but they will rarely be applied again to teeth which have some kind of restoration work. I think every tooth in my mouth now has a filling, so that means mine are out. But I still wonder what harm they could do, even with the fillings? Wouldn't it still help prevent the teeth from getting even more decay?

My dentist re-applied sealants to my retained baby molars when the first set of sealants wore off. That was about 15 years ago, I still have the baby molars at age 35 (congenitally missing 2nd premolars), and both of them still have sealant and no fillings. Unfortunately, neither of them have roots any more, so I don't think they will be getting a third round of sealants....

Most of my adult molars got cavities the instant the sealants wore off (even though I was brushing my teeth at least 4 times a day), I wish I had been able to get sealants reapplied to those teeth.

I honestly don't think the Wand would help me. I know that is a needle, therefore, it is in a category of scary things.