• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wizzie extraction site- food or healing gum?

C

Cmaderazo

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted a week ago(so much easier than I thought, and I'm so anxious about dental stuff I have to take meds for a consult). I went for my post op appointment today and Dr said things are healing very well and he gave me the syringe to irrigate the lower holes. I finally worked up the courage to look at the extraction sites with a flashlight and one side is very dark, like dried blood but the other side is kinda grey/flesh colored. How do I tell if it's food in there or healing gum? The side with the color does not appear to be as deep of a hole either. I don't want to irrigate to much but I don't want to leave food down there. It kinda looks like bread, but I couldn't get anything to come out(other than the other food that came out). If I irrigate good, but there is food still in there, will it hurt anything?

the white/gray color is normal tissue that fills in your holes. It's a part of normal healing process. It has a name but I forgot lol. If you have used the syringe and nothing else comes out, chances are you got everything. Just keep up with your salt water rinses and syringe after eating and you will be fine! congrats on taking such a huge step!

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted a week ago(so much easier than I thought, and I'm so anxious about dental stuff I have to take meds for a consult). I went for my post op appointment today and Dr said things are healing very well and he gave me the syringe to irrigate the lower holes. I finally worked up the courage to look at the extraction sites with a flashlight and one side is very dark, like dried blood but the other side is kinda grey/flesh colored. How do I tell if it's food in there or healing gum? The side with the color does not appear to be as deep of a hole either. I don't want to irrigate to much but I don't want to leave food down there. It kinda looks like bread, but I couldn't get anything to come out(other than the other food that came out). If I irrigate good, but there is food still in there, will it hurt anything?

Hi how long did it take to close I’m on day ten still open :(

Mine took about 1.5 months for the hole to close.

Back