• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

E

Emilyn1102

Wisdom tooth with IV sedation success story

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share that about 24 hours ago I got my lower 2 impacted wisdom teeth taken out. I was putting this off for over a year due my anxiety of The IV sedation. I have to say I was terrified leading up to it but I got in the chair and they hooked me up to a machine to monitor my vitals and my heart was racing like crazy. My oral surgeon said he was going to find the vein in my arm and put the needle in ( he never said he was putting the medicine in yet) all of a sudden I felt very slightly dizzy and I was unconscious. What felt like one minute later I was awake and fully aware or everything going on, I was even relaxed. This was by far easier than a fill in to me.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
Great to hear it went so quick and easy for you! Wishing you speedy healing ! :)

S

sakerman21

I have benefited a lot from this forum, so I'd like to share my story:

I'm a 35 year old man. When I was 22, 28, and 33, I had consultations for a wisdom tooth extraction, and each time, I put it aside, thinking the teeth were not causing any real pain, when in fact I was just scared of the procedure. More recently, my dentist showed me on an x-ray that my partially impacted lower wisdom tooth was at such an angle a cavity was forming on an adjacent tooth. So with a deep breath I made another consultation with an oral surgeon and made the appointment for all four wisdom teeth to be extracted.

To say I was nervous would be the understatement of the year. Reading success stories from this forum was incredibly helpful as I prepared. On the day of the appointment, I got there early, the nurse walked me into the room, and they took my blood pressure and heart rate, both of which were unsurprisingly high. She put a tube up my nose to begin the nitrous oxide; I didn't think it was working, but then the oral surgeon came in and I told him that he looked like a great dancer as I launched into a political stump speech about infrastructure. So I guess it was working! The nurse placed the IV, which was just a tiny pinch, and I was out. I do remember hearing what sounded like bones crunching at some point, but I wasn't disturbed by it. I don't remember the needles to numb me up, or really anything from the procedure. Being under conscious sedation is truly bizarre: it's like you don't exist in time. The whole thing lasted probably 30 minutes. The nurse walked me out to a recovery room where my partner was waiting, we received instructions, and went home.

I am very anti-medication, and I told the oral surgeon this. He wrote me a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen, which I didn't fill. He said I could take a mix of over the counter iburprofen and acetaminophen every six hours. I did this when I got home, and before I went to bed that night. The next day, I took half the dose before bed. Now it's day 3 and I don't feel the need to take it. Some tips:

-A nourishing thing to eat is mashed avocado with soy milk and honey, as well as mac and cheese, mashed potatoes with bone broth, and a variety of soups. I could probably eat more solid food by this point (Day 3).
-On Day 2 I experienced a mild fever - not uncommon
-For three nights, you need to sleep with your head propped up
-For the most part, avoid physical activity for the first week, and don't stress your mouth by talking too much
-I drink coffee and wine every day, but I've had to put that on hold. To be safe, I'd say one week. Not having coffee in the morning is seriously one of the hardest part of healing.
-Stiffness of the jaw persists, but I'm told that' normal. Hopefully the rest of the recovery goes smoothly.

To those in their early 20s reading this: if your dentist says get your wisdom teeth out, get them out. Modern dentistry is far more humane than your nightmares. I would not call this process a walk in the park, but it wasn't as bad as I feared.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
This is an awesome testimony!! Glad to hear it went so well and wishing a smooth speedy recovery!!

R

Reannsl

Hey everyone, I'm writing this to make people feel better whilst reading about their worries.

I was there until this morning. I got a filling about a month ago for a cracked tooth. Dentist told me he's not sure how 100% it can be as how it was broken. After a week i started getting some pain again which turned into pain coming from my upper jaw to my lower jaw /front of my mouth. Thats when i noticed my uppser wisdom tooth was broken. I really didn't know SMH.

So i was still confused about the pain on which tooth was giving me the pain. So i grew some balls and decided i needed to get the wisdom out because gumline broken with just a 1/4 remaining. I booked my appointment for the 7/5/19 12:30pm. I stayed looking up all sorts of videos of extraction of a broken wisdom. Some made me feel better some didnt.

I have a fear with choking on water or having multiple things in my mouth at one time sooo i was panicking whole morning. As well i live in the Caribbean and i wasn't sure if he will use the method that im guessing Americans or Indians use (from watching at different videos they were from those countries).
My time came i walked in at 12:20 pm went straight in i explained my problem, did the xray, he explained he can try without the cutting of the gums(i was so happy) i did local anesthesia, i was numb in a matter of 3 secs with 3 sticks and he applied some pressure and it was out in literally 10secs of him applying the pressure to get it out. When he told me its out i was shooked !!! I had to ask again what he said. My brother was waiting for me and was shocked as well with the fastness of the procedure.
I would say i was in there for 10 minutes tops.
After i couldnt believe i stressed about this for daysss for absolutely nothing.

J

jenniferf

Here is my story. I have gone to an oral surgeon to have the bottom two teeth pulled about 10 years ago. I was told I would most likely loose the nerve on one side and then he wouldn’t do the other side for legal reasons. I had been in pain then, but this scared my husband and I so I have lived with off and on pain.

About a year ago, my right bottom molar erupted and it was moving sideways towards my inner cheek. It was poking my side cheek. Having avoided dentists because I was also told by my regular dentist at that time that they couldn’t clean my teeth due to my gums receding, I was starting to think I’m going to have to get these teeth pulled. I wanted them pulled but previous dentist and oral surgeon basically didn’t want to touch my teeth.

My husband and I thought maybe we should try going to dentist again. We now live in a whole different state. So we had friends refer us to dentist. I had the greatest experience. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon that did a great job removing my 2 impacted bottom teeth. I am at my 6 day and I do have pain on right side still and I am eating soft foods and following all rules. Got little concerned today if pain is normal after 6 days or should I call back doctor? It was difficult surgery and took 20 minutes, but I was sedated and remember nothing. The recovery is harder part. This dentist also referred me to a periodontist instead of just saying we won’t clean your teeth. I wish I would have had second opinion back then. I have endured lots of pain over the years. Oh I wish they were both pulled 10 years ago.

I’m so happy these teeth are gone. I already feel difference in amount of pressure that was on my teeth. Just now want this pain to go away. I’ll give it until day 10 and see if I still have pain. No discolored gums, no bleeding, so looks like all is well. Just pain that sometimes gives headaches and sore throat. I take over counter Advil/ Tylenol and alternate. On antibiotic for prevention of infection. Special mouth rinse 2x a day. I think my nerves are going to be fine. I guess because I’m older that recovery takes longer.

That has been my dental experience.

J

Jane Dorothy

4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted yesterday morning

Good morning all! This site has been so much help in calming my nerves I just knew it was only right to share my story.

So I am 25 yrs old had braces twice as a teen pretty decent teeth overall but hadn't been to the dentis or doctor in over 10yrs.(we all know how the fear of the unknown makes it worse!) my wisdom teeth didn't start bothering me until probably the age of 20. I kept pushing it off until the paint was becoming more frequent and damage to my adjacent teeth was starting to occur. Being someone that always dreaded needles in the forearm only made matters worse. I thought to myself how am I ever going to get through this!!! Well last month with the help of friends and family I made an appointment to the local dentist for a checkup! Let me just start by saying if you haven't been to the dentist in years things have changes dramatically, everything is state of the art and they make it as comfortable as possible. A panoramic X-ray confirmed that my trouble and discomfort was from 4 impacted wisdom teeth:(( my worst nightmare. Other than that my cleaning went well and I only had one small cavity after over 10 yrs which was somewhat of a relief. 2 weeks later I was able to summon the courage to see the oral surgeon for a consultation. I was extremely nervous going in and didnt know what to expect! The only thing they do that day is get some medical information from you and ask about your symptoms. They took my blood pressure which was extremely high! The nurse said it could be nerves but was still something to get checked out because of my age I believe it was 186/120. The surgeon came in and introduced himself and didn't seem to happy that I waited this long. He confirmed all 4 were impacted, 2 deep in the bone on the bottom and 2 entering my sinus cavity at the top. I explained of chin numbness and lip quivering that I had been having and they both made a face of "that's not good". He then explained to me there was a 10% chance that the bottom roots during extraction could cause nerve damage that could be PERMANENT and that the tops could leave temporary holes in my sinus cavity. So I left the consultation scared to death but what options did I truly have. I kept putting off scheduling my surgery then decided I needed to find a local doctor and let him know of my high blood pressure. They too were alarmed at the readings for my age so he started me on a low does of hydrochorothiazide and ordered a lipid test(great something else to stress about!) a friend went with me for my blood test and let me tell you it was nothing! I literally felt a little bit of pressure! I immediately said all "all of this worrying for that!" they gave me a lolly and I was on my way. I got my results back that confirmed my cholesterol was high along with my tryglycerides being in the 400's!!! Was it ever going to stop?!! I started eating better and taking my meds and finally decided this had to be done feeling like all of this was somehow related to my teeth. Ears ringing, ear draining, jaw tightness and numbers, neck pain the works. I scheduled my appointment and my dad agreed to take me. Weeks prior it got to the point I was depressed and having panic attacks every other day!:( KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The Friday before my surgery I called the office to confirm my appointment and make them aware of how nervous I was and the meds I was currently on. She explained they could give me some Xanax for my nerves but didn't think it would help much. I said well at this point I'll try anything so go ahead and order them. So here I am 25 never taken ANY prescriptions before other than for colds when I was a kid. They have me on high bp ,meds, niacin and now I have to pop some Xanax!! Here I am WORRIED about taking the pills that are supposed to make me STOP worrying!!LOL that's me. I spent Sunday getting my house ready and heading to the store for soft foods and I stayed generally calm. It got worse as the night progressed knowing the dreaded blue pill was coming up. I ate a small sandwich and took the Xanax. About 30 min later I started to feel very relaxed and a little buzzed nothing scary and nothing overbearing, when my head hit the pillow I slept through the entire night! Woke up feeling a little groggy but best sleep I've had in a long time!! I was instructed to takes another 1mg Xanax 2 hours before surgery which I was excited for knowing it was going to help! I had a good convo with my father on the way to the office no anxiety at all. Paid my dues and they had me back in the chair within 10 min! Checked my booth pressure which was still a little high? Clipped a hr monitor on my finger and some clips to my ankles and wrist! I explained that I wasn't nearly as nervous and actually excited to get it over with. They knew I was nervous about the IV so she made small talk with me as the surgeon came in and spoke to me. She put the rubberband on my arm found the vein and it was in and over with no flinch! Just don't look!!! Its easy I promise I am terrified of needles and this kind of helped my fear. She asked me a few things as she said she was putting medicine in to calm me and I was out!!! This was the part I was scared about but it wasn't a room spinning knock out ears ringing feeling it was just like drifting off to sleep!! I barely remember her walking me to the recovery room and then I woke up In the chair. The nurse was shaking my shoulder and i woke right up! No pain at all! They let me lay for a min then sat me up to get adjusted and out the door we went!!! I tooke the pain pills last night and sat up the ENTIRE time! Try not to lay down the clots will form better sitting upright. Changed my gauze a few times drank some sprite and ate some jellow
Was yours a conscious iv or GA

P

person54321

These helped me so much I wanted to write mine too! And before I go further let me just tell you DO NOT go on Reddit. There are so many horror stories, people just want the shock value. Please don't do what I did and scare yourself out of sleeping! I am extremely anesthesia resistant and have been terrified of having the bottom teeth removed. I have 4 healthy erupted teeth but the top one got a cavity that was hard to get to and the dentist persuaded me to remove all instead of just the one. I picked a surgeon who was well-reviewed online and opted for IV sedation with local anesthesia.

The week of my procedure I stopped sleeping out of anxiety. I kept imagining all the worst case scenarios. That with sedation I'd be tortured and screaming but not remember it, that I'd be paralyzed and in pain but unable to communicate, that I'd wake up midway through from some horrible thing happening, all sorts of awful things. The night before I was a wreck, I barely slept and every time I did I woke up in a puddle of sweat. Morning of I was surprisingly calm though for some reason. I think I was just ready to be done. When they took me back they gave me a blanket, oxygen for my nose, and put some monitors on. I have a fear of needles and unfortunately I have terrible veins. Luckily my surgeon was an expert at inserting them, only had to poke once, and it was over immediately and just a teensy pinch. And frankly if you're scared of your teeth, it will massively override your fear of the needle!

I was also nervous what sedation would feel like, let me reassure you it's amazing! I was worried I would get the spins or feel out of control or drunk, or have some kind of trip. I felt none of that. After asking if I had any questions he injected two drugs into the IV and within a couple seconds I felt tingly, then everything felt heavy, then there was a rubber dam in my mouth (the timeline got fuzzy real fast) and the next thing I knew I was awake and mid-sentence of asking the nurse for my teeth. Everything here is SO TRUE. It's like that time was just snipped out of my timeline. I didn't really feel it "kicking in" and there was no "oh boy here we go." Just a little tingly, then I was done. I was really afraid of waking up mid-surgery and feeling pain, and I did wake up a little, but it was such a non-issue I feel silly for even worrying about it now. I just saw them working and heard some talking and was out again. I didn't feel a thing and I was so out of it I honestly wouldn't have been able to feel fear if there was a velociraptor about to eat me when I opened my eyes. It's hard to imagine until you've done it, but it really was nothing.

I was also worried I would say stupid things when I was in recovery, and I guess I was talking, but I have no idea what I said and frankly am way less concerned about it than I thought I would be. I remember part of asking the nurse for my teeth, she said they were in pieces so I couldn't have them and it sounded like I'd asked her multiple times already. My husband said when he came in I was chattering to the other nurse about how they'd broken my teeth into pieces (he said I sounded really amused and excited about this), then raised the wrong hand to be helped into the wheelchair and did some really comical maneuvering (I don't remember any of this). He said I didn't do anything really embarrassing I was just being silly. The next thing I knew I was being poured into my car (it was hard to walk) then it was 30 minutes later and we were pulling into the garage. I kept having gaps in my memory, but even though my memory wasn't working yet I was apparently pretty coherent. I apparently chatted with my husband about the route home (I disapproved of his choice). I was expecting a full day of groggy and being out of it, but I was only feeling weird for about 2 hours including time in recovery. When I came home I slept 2 hours and woke up feeling very refreshed. PRO TIP, when you sleep put down towels under your head. I'm glad I did because there was a pinkish puddle on the towel when I got up. When you're numb you WILL drool all over yourself. I was concerned about nerve damage and got nervous when I still had some numb spots on my lip and chin 6 hours later, but it wore off the same day.

I'm not going to lie I felt really nauseous when I got home, I think from swallowing a ton of blood, but the doctor prescribed me some ondansetron and after I took it and ate a little I felt fine. The pain never reached unbearable levels. Between doses of medication it was a little uncomfortable but totally manageable. I never touched the prescription stuff and have been fine on ibuprofen. I stopped taking it after 48 hours. When the doctor called to check on me I asked him if I seemed uncomfortable or fought him or anything, he said I was just sort of in and out of sleep and quiet. So that answers the question of if I was being tortured and just forgot it!

It's now day 5 and everything seems to be healing well. I'm still restricting my diet and activity to avoid dry socket, but I think I'm in the home stretch here. I was out running errands after 24 hours. I wouldn't say I feel normal, I'm still a little puffy and sore and I am restricting my food, but it's not a big deal anymore.

A

ap1989

Hello! I wanted to share my story here to inspire/encourage others.

I'm not really afraid of the dentist, honestly and was quite up for the process. When I sat down, I felt a small prick in my hand as the IV drip was inserted into my vein. It is nothing but a scratch. After that, they gave me a small dose of Midazolam to get me started. As I was talking to the staff, I felt a sensation similar to being tipsy. After a while, they asked me to lie down.

Before I went for this procedure, my main curiosity was whether I would be aware of what was happening. I can only assume they increased the dosage after the initial amount, because I have no recollection of anything. One minute I was lying down, the next I was told it was finished. When I got home, I remembered discussing with the dentist my after care, but I cannot recall what was said. Just as well I had someone with me to pay attention!

Overall, it was a great experience. I'm in no pain at the moment and all I have used is paracetamol and ibuprofen. I am living off ice cream and yogurt for now, which is a real treat! I went private and, with the sedation, it cost me upwards of £400. It was well worth the money, though.

E

evanpelt17

How much pain have you been experiencing since the numbness wore off?

A

ap1989

How much pain have you been experiencing since the numbness wore off?
For 3-5 hours after the extraction (two upper wisdom teeth) I had a strong aching feeling. I took the meds I mentioned above and the pain went away. I last took them 5 hours ago and don't feel any significant pain at all. I can't open my jaw the entire way yet, though.

T

tomorei

Dear All,

This morning I removed two wisdom teeth with IV sedation (one impacted and the other with regular removal). I wanted to pitch in my story because I had benefited so much from just reading the experiences of the community here :)!

My surgery was at 8:30AM this morning. It is currently 13:20 here and I must say that I am feeling great. I got to the dentist pretty early, and at that time I was shivering - I literally couldn't feel my hands because I was so so so nervous and I was sweating even though the room was freezing cold.

I was telling my dentist and anaesthologist that I was really nervous and I hadn't have an injection for 4 years so I've already forgotten what that felt like. My anaesthologist popped in the needle and it just was a tiny tiny pinch. It really didn't hurt as much as my mind had made it out to be. They quickly set me up and the administered the drug immediately. Next thing I know I fell asleep. I think I woke up in the middle of the surgery but then very quickly fell asleep again and I didn't care at all about what was happening to me. I think my surgery lasted for around 45 minutes, but I didn't really know because I had a really nice nap!

The night before this I was having trouble sleeping and couldn't calm myself down no matter which meditation video I was using. I don't think I would have stressed myself up this much if I knew it was going to be this easy!

I am a very controlling person and I found it difficult to be at ease when it comes to letting other people take control of my body. But I was assured that the dental team helping me with this was very sweet and lovely!

I just hope that my recovery process will go smoothly! Now I'm just resting up for the day.

For those who are going to get their wisdom teeth removed - you'll be fine!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
:welldone: :perfect: Tomorei,

Just wanted to thank you for this! What an awesome testimony!!