• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Wizzie removal success stories

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Best of luck for your appointment tomorrow, Missymajor! Many thanks for the updates, let us know how you got on :clover::clover::clover:!

M

Missymajor

So my last post was from last night before getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted. So I woke up this morning at 8:30am and surprisingly I slept pretty well. about 6 hours of sleep. My appointment was at 10 and I arrived at about 9:50. Because of COVID I had to wear a mask to the appointment and they took my temperature and I had to read a list of COVID symptoms and tell them if I had any. Then they found me a room and I had to sit and fill out a bit of paperwork because I did the bulk of it online the night before. The oral surgeon was in the room doing some paperwork of her own. I noticed on the paper it said I'd be getting deep sedation. I had called a few days before my appointment and asked if I could get just local instead and was told yes. The reason I wanted local instead was because the first oral surgeon who was supposed to do the procedure backed out because of my BMI. I guess because of the fact that morbidly obese people are more at risk for complications from anesthesia. This freaked me out and I decided to ask for just local instead. I asked the guy who'd given me the papers to fill out why it said I was getting deep sedation when I'd called and asked if I could get just local and was told yes. The oral surgeon who was in the room doing some paperwork kind of sighed because she realized there'd been a mix up somewhere and then they kinda looked at each other and the guy went to ask the people at the front desk about it He came back and said "Yeah the local is for numbing and then you'll get deep sedation." I was like "um... okay." I already knew that but I was told I could get just local with no sedation. Anyways I decided to just drop it and get the sedation because I didn't want to cause trouble. Definitely made me a bit more nervous though and felt my eyes welling a bit because something was already going wrong and we hadn't even started. I took a deep breath and fought back my tears and got myself together before anyone noticed I was upset. The oral surgeon told me I could go ahead and lay in the chair and I sat there for probably around 5 mins before she started prepping me. They put these patches on me that were gonna be used to measure my heartbeat. Two patches on either side of my chest and one on my belly. She then put a blood pressure cuff on my arm and a little clamp thing on my finger to keep track of something I don't remember lol. I sat there hooked up for another few minutes before her assistant came in. She asked me about my tolerance to the prescriptions they were going to give me. She asked if I'd ever had the antibiotic Amoxicillin and I told her I had but it'd stopped working for me so I was prescribed Amoxicillin Clavulanate instead. She said okay and went back to the front desk to tell them I'm assuming. She then came back and started trying to find a vein to hook up my IV on my right arm but had trouble. She put the needle in but had to take it out because I guess the vein wasn't good enough. She switched over to my left arm and found a good one immediately. So they put the IV in my arm and then an oxygen thing in my nose and then I felt my chair start to lift bringing me closer to the lamp above me. Then I watched them start to put the medication into the IV and I don't remember anything else after that accept that at one point while they were still pulling my teeth I think I woke up. I remember feeling a lot of pressure. I don't remember if there was pain but just being woken up and feeling the pressure was enough to freak me out. I think they gave me more medication or something because I fell back asleep. When I woke up I started crying and they were asking me if I was okay and were wiping my tears. When I got home I googled it and found out crying after waking up from IV sedation is fairly common and happens because of the stress of surgery and just feeling disoriented. Then I just remember getting put into a wheelchair and them wheeling me out to the car where my mom was waiting. I wasn't in any pain whatsoever and had no swelling but I hear all that starts around day 2 anyway. I was stumbling a bit getting in and out of the car and cried about 4 times when I got home over really dumb stuff lol which again might be due to the medication not having fully worn off yet. Still no pain though. Overall while it wasn't an awesome experience it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. My oral surgeon and the assistant were both very nice. When I got home and went to change the gauze for the first time I used the flashlight on my phone to look into my mouth and realized they didn't give me stitches. I googled it and found out a lot of the time you just don't get stitches with widsom teeth removal. I'm not complaining. When my mom came back from the store with my prescriptions I realized they'd prescribed me Amoxicillin after I'd specifically told me it doesn't work for me. The other things the prescribed for me were Tylenol 3, Ibuprofen 800, and a medicated mouth wash. I'm hoping that's fine and I don't need anything stronger. On a good note, one thing I noticed immediately is that my bite is already different. My bite felt very off the last few months that I had my wisdom teeth. It was a weird feeling. Now it seems to have gone back to normal.

So the pros of getting 4 non-impacted but infected and decayed wisdom teeth out at 31 years old were:
The procedure was painless

The cons were:
They made me get IV sedation even though I'd been told I could get just local
They gave me an antibiotic I'm resistant to after I told them I'm resistant to it
I woke up in the middle of the sedation which was scary to wake up to the feeling of someone digging a tooth out of my mouth

Overall not the most pleasant experience but also nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. I'm so glad it's over and I hope recovery isn't too bad. I've dealt with excruciatingly painful wisdom tooth infections off and on for two years now though so I feel like I can handle this

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missymajor.

How are you doing? I am thinking of you and hope this went better than you imagined . please let us know how you are. :grouphug: