• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wizzie removal success stories Mega Thread

Thanks for this story! It was comforting to read while waiting for my own wisdom tooth extraction, which I had done Tuesday.

I will admit to not believing anyone when they said the sedation made the surgery seem like the blink of an eye, but it's true! Amazing, isn't it?

I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2010 after my regular dentist saw how severely impacted they were. when the oral surgeon was doing her exam, she was actually shocked that my wizzies weren't causing me any pain despite being so severely impacted.

I was put out for the procedure but everything went well and I had no pain at all thanks to Vicodin. I now know how Doctor House feels to be stoned on that stuff...hahaha! I also got sick of ice cream for about a month after recovery since I ate it so often.

No need to fear Wisdom teeth extraction!

I just thought I would share my success story as I found this website particularly useful over the last week and I wanted to give back something. While, I don't have a dental phobia, I do have a fears of being in the dentist chair. I am also a psychologist who has helped patients in the past overcome dental anxiety so it is often assumed by dentists and family members alike that I will have no problem and that I am well placed to combat my own anxious symptoms.

Three years ago, I had the top one removed with only a local anesthetic, I was in so much in pain (due to an infection) that I just wanted it out and to be honest I don't remember much of the procedure at all. But the relief afterwards was wonderful! I was informed then and there that the other three would eventually meet the same fate.

A week ago, the top followed by the bottom one started giving me trouble, both were impacted. I was sent for two panoramic scans followed by a CT scan (this is essential if there are doubts about the location of your nerve to your roots). I was told that all three had to be removed. The thoughts of this frightened me because I dreaded getting the lower ones out due to their proximity to the nerve and the fact that they were so embedded in my jaw bone. The options were full extraction or coronectomy. They would only perform the oral surgery under IV sedation (again this scared me as I did not know what to expect).

My oral surgeon felt confident to carry out a full extraction on the lower wisdom teeth as well. This morning, I went in at 10:00, IV went in (only felt a pinch), the room went swirly, I closed my eyes and the next time I opened them was when I was being assisted from the chair to a nearby room to wait for my mother to collect me. I felt fine waiting for my mother just tired and numb. I have no recollection of the procedure (it took one hour altogether).

The pain afterwards is another story but the medication helps and lots of ice packs.

Overall, I am really happy I got them out under IV sedation and would recommend it to anyone!! :grin:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm getting mine out tomorrow and I'm SO scared. Your story helped.

Finally had my wisdom teeth removed under GA

Hey all,
I've been terrified of the dentist and needles in general all my life, recently I decided that I just couldn't fight removing my wisdom teeth anymore and at 23 my coverage as a full time student under my parents dental insurance was about to run out. I asked for general anesthesia because the idea of conscious IV sedation had me in tears nearing a full on panic attack! I met with a fabulous surgeon that said it would be no problem and made the appointment. Yesterday, it was time. I asked my mom to come with me and drove to the office first thing in the morning.

The staff at Burnaby Sedation Dental were wonderful and the nurse that came to give me the pre-surgical chat was absolutely fantastic about making me feel comfortable and calm. The anesthesiologist brought me into the back, his bedside manner wasn't great but he was very professional and the nurse made up for his lack of reassurance. Putting the IV in was the part that was psychologically the hardest for me, receiving needles is still my biggest issue, but they nailed it on the first try and were quick to get the first med into me. The nurse told me it would feel like I slammed a morning margarita, which it totally did, then they placed an oxygen mask on my face, administered the second med and told me I was going to go to sleep now. It felt like I slept for maybe ten minutes, I had a weird dream and then woke up. My mouth was super dry and stuffed with gauze, I think the most distressing part was that I couldn't really talk, only make this weird honking noise and make a thumbs up or down. It was really hard to stay awake, even in the car going home and hour after waking up, I kept having to close my eyes.

When I got home I took out the gauze and had some water, which really helped, and took a nap. The worst part was trying to communicate with people and swallow pills with a frozen face! It took about 5 hours total for the freezing to wear off, my jaw was stiff and the extraction sites a little tender but thus far no significant pain, swelling or bruising. I'm SUPER hungry, though, I've been sticking to clear fluids and popsicles while the wrest of the famjam chows down on tacos and chocolaty deserts. I think I'll try some nice soft stuff today but I don't want to go to fast.

All in all, I'm super proud of myself for doing something I so absolutely feared, hopefully it will encourage others to find the strength to go through with their own extractions!

I had my two lower wisdom teeth extracted about three weeks ago under conscious sedation. When I came out of it, I was convinced it hadn't worked because I did remember a few bits and pieces but thought it only took like 5-10 minutes. The nurse told me it took 30 and it blew my mind lol. The left side was easy, the right tooth was very stubborn and had to be sectioned into 5 pieces. They were very sweet about the whole thing, one of the nurses held my hand until the sedation kicked in. I would definitely recommend music, I do vaguely remember hearing some cracking noises. They got me an ice pack, helped me get comfy in a recliner with a blanket (I wanted to take that blanket home with me) until I was a little more with it.

One major problem I had during recovery, though, is that I got VERY tired of ice cream, mashed potatoes and yogurt. So definitely stock up on a variety. I cooked carrots or cauliflower until they were soft enough to mash, those tasted wonderful and they aren't as heavy as potatoes.

Three weeks out and I'm healing very well. I'm eating most normal food except for anything that is very hard or has sharp edges. I miss crunchy snacks but better that than causing a problem for myself. The second molar on my left side is very sensitive to cold and that's a wait and see type of thing. Overall I'm glad I did it!

SUCCESS Wisdom Tooth Removal Extraction

I am a new member but decided to come and share my story after I read a couple success stories about wisdom tooth removal. It's been approximately 16 hours and I would've posted about 6 hours since the procedure but I was lazy. I'd thought I'd come back here and share my experience as well in order to help someone out with their fears. I read bailymonster's experience and I will confirm and agree with two statements- "IV sedation is a miracle" and "I would redo it all no problem." In fact, to say IV sedation is a miracle is an understatement.

The fear of the procedure really hit me about 3 days before. My biggest concern wasn't really the needle nor the healing process, but the actual sedation. I suffer from panic attacks and I had never "been under/put to sleep." I feared that I would feel the anesthetic begin and I would freak out or try to fight it somehow. The only similar experience I had was at the hospital this year when the nurse gave me some kind of relaxing medication through a shot and I felt it taking over. In that case, I was scared at first (freaked out and became alert) but it eventually helped me feel relaxed and sleepy. Anyway, my fear three days before the extraction brought a lot of (TMI warning) chest pains, nightmares, trouble sleeping and diarrhea! That was the intensity of my fear prior to the appointment. Although I had read positive stories and was advised by friends it was a cinch, my mind just couldn't stop worrying even though I did at moments feel positive.

I read reviews about my oral surgeon before I met him at the procedure location. Some google reviewer said the facility was like a "russian cold war experiment." I didn't think so at all. It wasn't the fanciest place with a saltwater aquarium but it was clean and nice. It is REALLY HELPFUL when the nurses and staff treat you with kindness throughout the visit. It makes a big difference helping you feel comfortable. During my wait in the waiting room, I tried to ignore listening to the patients or nurses talk if its not related to me. Overhearing people or being too alert tends to freak me out as I tend to relate everything negative to what may happen to me. I heard some family member say "she's really upset" when ultimately I conclude it hadn't anything to do with the dentist or facility but rather personal problems.

After waiting a bit they checked me in and I sat in a chair. They made me pee in a cup, change to gown, asked medical questions and checked my blood pressure. I got concerned when they asked me if I have a will. During my waiting, I prayed to God to give me a safe procedure and thought about my family. I was having three wisdom teeth removed and I confirmed them with the nurse (I was born without a 4th one.) She placed the needle on my hand and she failed the first time. She ended up having to redo it on my second hand. It helps me a lot when I don't look at the needle at all and if she doesn't count down to prepare me. Although the IV was just hydrating me, I already thought differently and got myself worked up mentally. It's amazing how fear can just alter how your body feels physically. But the good thing is that it was a one-time shot and the rest of the medications/anasthesia would enter through the IV.

I was moved over to another room/chair where the surgeon and anesthesiologist would briefly talk to me before going to the reclining chair for surgery. I told the anesthesiologist I overheard a patient telling him that one time they woke up from anesthesia and they couldn't catch their breath. But as the anasthesiologist told the patient, he also told me that that was at a different facility/operation and that he can reassure me he won't let that happen at his facility and is taking measures to prevent that. It's important to express your fears, questions and worries to get them answered. Nevertheless I had been breaking down and crying a few times already. The anesthesiologist knew this because the nurse informed him. He was sympathetic, he cracked jokes with me and tried to humor me. He also added a little relaxing medicine to my IV and I had ultimately stopped crying. My eyesight doubled momentarily initially but then it stabilized. I felt emotionally better. I'm very thankful they were caring and nice. I was very polite on my end too.

Finally they made me walk over to the surgery room and I layed on the reclining chair. I thanked them all in advance before I went down. I heard someone say "ok we're putting the anesthesia in your IV." A couple seconds later- that was it. I never felt sleepy, I never felt weak, I never felt different. I NEVER FELT IT COMING AT ALL. I don't know how it happened but I was out somehow.
Next thing you know the nurse was sitting me up saying "Hey, you are awake now." I immediately started crying but I was happy. I was crying tears of joy and I hugged her for support. She helped dress me, sat me on a wheelchair and gave me to my sister. I was a little wonky but it subsided quickly.
Sis took me home, picked up my Rx, and I just layed in bed. Im still in bed (16 hours later) but am excited to go pick up my child today as I think I am able. I am healing quickly and my mouth is running clear today. As far as details on recovery- obviously it is painful but I haven't felt like it's unbearable without pills. I haven't and won't go a long time without the meds to confirm that. I am taking them as directed and have been placing ice packs.

Just remember this when you feel the fear hit you (especially nearing the procedure)
-Recall all positive stories
-(Unfortunately) Remember there are children (and adults) who are battling diseases in hospitals conquering numerous surgeries like a piece of cake
-Remember that people get their teeth extracted everyday like no biggie.

But my biggest reminder is this- In my opinion, the worst part of all this the fear before the procedure. The actual procedure is a cinch- you just don't know it yet. :cool:

Yep. This morning I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted under GA. I've been incredibly stressed about the op for weeks, and have been crying a lot leading up to the actual appointment. I hope my story helps some others go and get the procedure done. Once it's over, thankfully it's OVER and you won't ever have to do it again. :)

So my partner and I got to the office exactly at 11:30 for my appointment. They took me IMMEDIATELY back, which was good and bad. Good because yay getting things over with fast, bad because ugh anxiety levels went through the roof. I get in the back and start crying. The two nurses were SO NICE TO ME. I can't even. They were amazing. They explained things every step of the way, asked me if I had questions, asked if I was comfortable, and talked me through what was going on.

As soon as I was in the chair, I closed my eyes. I told them, "Just do whatever you need to do. I can't look." The nurse put a rubber band thing around my arm and told me to squeeze a foam block. She said, "Wow, you have big veins!!" which was awesome. We talked a bit about my job while I cried. Another nurse put a paper bib over my chest and abdomen and told me I'd be completely fine and that it was all going to be okay. I think she pet my shoulder a bit too. They put some heart monitoring things on me on my hands and ankles. No pain. I didn't even know they were there. I think they also put something in my mouth to keep it open, but I was so distracted by fear that I can't even remember.

At that point, the doctor came in. I couldn't look at him. I started to cry more, breathing deeply to try and calm myself. He tightened the rubber band and told me to make a fist and then pump it a few times and asked how I was doing. I laughed through my tears and said, "Nervous!" He spread some ointment or something on the inner elbow, then said, "This is going to be cold for a second," and he sprayed some really really cold stuff over the area. I knew what was next, so I must have seemed tense. The nurse told me, "Don't forget to breathe!" and we both kind of laughed. The doctor said, "You'll feel a little prick in a second," and he put the IV in. Barely a prick at all. Nothing to worry about. Way easier than when I had my blood drawn. Once it's in, there's no agitation or pain at all. It's just there. It's funny how quickly the body adjusts to weird things like that.

The doctor said, "Okay, we're administering the sedation." The nurse said, "You're going to start to feel relaxed very soon, and all this anxiety will just melt away and you'll feel great! You're doing really well!"

I didn't feel the stuff go into me. The nurse said, "we're going to put this mask over your nose. It's just oxygen. Just breathe normally." And at that point, I started kind of panicking with the "what if this doesn't work on me and I'm awake during the procedure??" I breathed deep a few times, tears rolling down my face.

Then I woke up.

Seriously. I don't remember falling asleep at all! No pain. No knowledge of the experience whatsoever during the time I was out. IT WAS THE BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE! I woke up just wanting to go back to that kind of heavy, authentic sleep.

I woke up and had a moment of panic thinking "oh god, they're still operating on me, I need to tell them to stop because I'm awake!" but by the time I could speak, the nurse was saying my name and "we're going to sit you up slowly, okay? We're all done." I think my panic was because she was putting the gauze in my mouth.

After, they walked me (I was soooo drowsy and had a hard time walking) to the recovery room. I couldn't feel my mouth or chin at all, and that was kind of freaky. Actually it was really freaky to me. I don't like losing my ability to feel my face. I kept reaching up to touch my lips to ensure my mouth was closed, because I couldn't tell. As I sat down, my partner came in and the nurse went over EVERYTHING for post-op care, gave my partner a huge sheet with instructions, and stressed to call if ANYTHING was wrong. It took about 30 minutes for me to be able to come around fully. I was just really drowsy and wished I could go back to sleep but knew I had to stay up. The nurse put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me to my car, and we went home.

Taking the pills after was INTERESTING. Like, how do you swallow water AND a pill when you can't feel your tongue/mouth/lips?? I managed but I actually had to have my partner check to ensure I'd swallowed it lol I had no idea! I ate (very slowly) a container of yogurt. It was awkward, but I just spread the yogurt on my tongue and swallowed. There was some blood at this point, which was kind of gross.

That was....wow, 12 hours ago! Since then, I had a small bit of pain, but I took extra meds just when it started so now I'm all good. I've been taking them every 4-5 hours to stay ahead of the pain. I've been sleeping sitting up in bed, watching TV and dozing off since I got home. My partner has been helping me change the gauze every 30-45 mins or so. My right upper and lower have slowed the bleeding a lot. Left side is still bleeding a bit, so I tried the teabag under gauze thing (soak a black teabag in warm water, place the gauze over it, put it where you put the gauze and hold there lightly for 15 mins, then switch to a clean gauze pack again). Idk if it helped. My left side still bleeds when I remove the gauze. My trash can looks like I've murdered some people and am too dumb to throw away the evidence.

The worst parts thus far have been things I didn't concern myself with beforehand due to the fear of other crazy thing. Worst things include: THE GAUZE. It's just annoying. I don't like having it back in my mouth, and I hate changing it out. I also don't really care for biting down on it. There's no pain; it's just an annoyance. The other worst thing was the NUMBNESS! Oh man. I hated that. I freaked out thinking I had nerve damage because my tongue and lower lip were numb for about 8 hours. To the point that talking/swallowing was difficult. The dry mouth that accompanied all this (due to the gauze keeping my mouth open and my inability to tell when my mouth was closed) was ICKY as well. All I wanted was to drink water, and even that required me to do it carefully because of my numbness.

I'm hoping by tomorrow the blood clots will have formed so I can stop with all this gauze! That's currently the only bad thing on my radar. Am also maybe a bit concerned with waking up sore since I will have taken the pain pills at 11pm and probably not again until 8am or so. *fingers crossed*

Anyway, a success so far! I'll keep posting, because I know before I went in, I wanted as many details as I could get to make things less frightening. :XXLhug:

You have officially freaked me out!! I get mine out tomorrow and my panic attacks are all based on numbness of my tongue and mouth. I've never had anything more than numbing cream in my mouth and even that sends me into an attack. Any advice how to get through this??

Yep. This morning I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted under GA. I've been incredibly stressed about the op for weeks, and have been crying a lot leading up to the actual appointment. I hope my story helps some others go and get the procedure done. Once it's over, thankfully it's OVER and you won't ever have to do it again. :)

So my partner and I got to the office exactly at 11:30 for my appointment. They took me IMMEDIATELY back, which was good and bad. Good because yay getting things over with fast, bad because ugh anxiety levels went through the roof. I get in the back and start crying. The two nurses were SO NICE TO ME. I can't even. They were amazing. They explained things every step of the way, asked me if I had questions, asked if I was comfortable, and talked me through what was going on.

As soon as I was in the chair, I closed my eyes. I told them, "Just do whatever you need to do. I can't look." The nurse put a rubber band thing around my arm and told me to squeeze a foam block. She said, "Wow, you have big veins!!" which was awesome. We talked a bit about my job while I cried. Another nurse put a paper bib over my chest and abdomen and told me I'd be completely fine and that it was all going to be okay. I think she pet my shoulder a bit too. They put some heart monitoring things on me on my hands and ankles. No pain. I didn't even know they were there. I think they also put something in my mouth to keep it open, but I was so distracted by fear that I can't even remember.

At that point, the doctor came in. I couldn't look at him. I started to cry more, breathing deeply to try and calm myself. He tightened the rubber band and told me to make a fist and then pump it a few times and asked how I was doing. I laughed through my tears and said, "Nervous!" He spread some ointment or something on the inner elbow, then said, "This is going to be cold for a second," and he sprayed some really really cold stuff over the area. I knew what was next, so I must have seemed tense. The nurse told me, "Don't forget to breathe!" and we both kind of laughed. The doctor said, "You'll feel a little prick in a second," and he put the IV in. Barely a prick at all. Nothing to worry about. Way easier than when I had my blood drawn. Once it's in, there's no agitation or pain at all. It's just there. It's funny how quickly the body adjusts to weird things like that.

The doctor said, "Okay, we're administering the sedation." The nurse said, "You're going to start to feel relaxed very soon, and all this anxiety will just melt away and you'll feel great! You're doing really well!"

I didn't feel the stuff go into me. The nurse said, "we're going to put this mask over your nose. It's just oxygen. Just breathe normally." And at that point, I started kind of panicking with the "what if this doesn't work on me and I'm awake during the procedure??" I breathed deep a few times, tears rolling down my face.

Then I woke up.

Seriously. I don't remember falling asleep at all! No pain. No knowledge of the experience whatsoever during the time I was out. IT WAS THE BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE! I woke up just wanting to go back to that kind of heavy, authentic sleep.

I woke up and had a moment of panic thinking "oh god, they're still operating on me, I need to tell them to stop because I'm awake!" but by the time I could speak, the nurse was saying my name and "we're going to sit you up slowly, okay? We're all done." I think my panic was because she was putting the gauze in my mouth.

After, they walked me (I was soooo drowsy and had a hard time walking) to the recovery room. I couldn't feel my mouth or chin at all, and that was kind of freaky. Actually it was really freaky to me. I don't like losing my ability to feel my face. I kept reaching up to touch my lips to ensure my mouth was closed, because I couldn't tell. As I sat down, my partner came in and the nurse went over EVERYTHING for post-op care, gave my partner a huge sheet with instructions, and stressed to call if ANYTHING was wrong. It took about 30 minutes for me to be able to come around fully. I was just really drowsy and wished I could go back to sleep but knew I had to stay up. The nurse put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me to my car, and we went home.

Taking the pills after was INTERESTING. Like, how do you swallow water AND a pill when you can't feel your tongue/mouth/lips?? I managed but I actually had to have my partner check to ensure I'd swallowed it lol I had no idea! I ate (very slowly) a container of yogurt. It was awkward, but I just spread the yogurt on my tongue and swallowed. There was some blood at this point, which was kind of gross.

That was....wow, 12 hours ago! Since then, I had a small bit of pain, but I took extra meds just when it started so now I'm all good. I've been taking them every 4-5 hours to stay ahead of the pain. I've been sleeping sitting up in bed, watching TV and dozing off since I got home. My partner has been helping me change the gauze every 30-45 mins or so. My right upper and lower have slowed the bleeding a lot. Left side is still bleeding a bit, so I tried the teabag under gauze thing (soak a black teabag in warm water, place the gauze over it, put it where you put the gauze and hold there lightly for 15 mins, then switch to a clean gauze pack again). Idk if it helped. My left side still bleeds when I remove the gauze. My trash can looks like I've murdered some people and am too dumb to throw away the evidence.

The worst parts thus far have been things I didn't concern myself with beforehand due to the fear of other crazy thing. Worst things include: THE GAUZE. It's just annoying. I don't like having it back in my mouth, and I hate changing it out. I also don't really care for biting down on it. There's no pain; it's just an annoyance. The other worst thing was the NUMBNESS! Oh man. I hated that. I freaked out thinking I had nerve damage because my tongue and lower lip were numb for about 8 hours. To the point that talking/swallowing was difficult. The dry mouth that accompanied all this (due to the gauze keeping my mouth open and my inability to tell when my mouth was closed) was ICKY as well. All I wanted was to drink water, and even that required me to do it carefully because of my numbness.

I'm hoping by tomorrow the blood clots will have formed so I can stop with all this gauze! That's currently the only bad thing on my radar. Am also maybe a bit concerned with waking up sore since I will have taken the pain pills at 11pm and probably not again until 8am or so. *fingers crossed*

Anyway, a success so far! I'll keep posting, because I know before I went in, I wanted as many details as I could get to make things less frightening. :XXLhug:

I'm not sure how to use this forum yet. Sry

Wisdom teeth removal IV sedation...so easy!

Hey! I just had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out earlier today (about 9 hours ago) and thought I would put some worried minds at ease.
I'm a 21 year old female and have VERY bad anxiety. I've been rebooking my appointment for almost a year now. I cried every time I thought about it. I'm not bothered by needles but I absolutely have a fear of being in a medical setting, dentist or doctor.

Anyway, I went in today a complete mess, crying, shaking. I thought I was gonna walk right out of that waiting room. They finally called my name for a consultation with my oral surgeon. He jokes saying "so you're the nervous one the nurses told me about" and reassured me that I would be okay. He gave me a option of IV sedation or local freezing..which I quickly replied hell no lol. He then explained the slight risks of the sedation, what to expect after, etc. I signed the papers and he then took me off to the surgery room. I was calmed by his words and how caring the surgeon was, but I was still sweaty palmed and shaking.

The anesthesiologist was waiting for me and guided me to the chair, he introduced himself and said he'd be the one giving me the "happy juice".. While he was prepping the medication and tying my arm up to find a vein, a nurse came in and hooked me up to a blood pressure machine and heart rate monitor. My pressure was 170/85!!!! It's usually 118/70. At this point I was having a full blown anxiety attack so they gave me oxygen and gave me a warm blanket and let me compose myself a bit. I finally felt like I could do it.
The drug dude asked if I was ready and I nodded. He explained what I would feel and reassured me over and over again until I was out. The last thing I remember is feeling an extreme sense of calmness and well being, very euphoric...I remember I couldn't keep my eyes open one second longer and I was OUT in less than a minute.

What felt to be 1 second later, I awoke. The nurse said I was done and I asked how long it took(with a mouth full of gauze) and it only took 30 minutes. I was coherent, not acting like the people in the videos at all, and I didn't have any nausea!! I was a bit dizzy but that's it. I was asked to stay seated (I probably couldn't have walked anyways) my blood pressure was taken a few more times and I could hear the monitor beeping which would normally cause anxiety, but I could have cared less. I was so relaxed. I spent about 40 minutes or so in the recovery room and they brought my mom in and went over after care. I got iced up and I was prescribed T3's for pain which I had to wait 4 hours to take, I was in pretty bad pain by the time I could take them.

I've only taken two T3's and I've managed to eat some mashed potatoes, yogurt, and chicken broth. I have no swelling yet but I'm sure that will change within the next couple of days. My oral surgeon even called personally about an hour ago to see how I was doing and if the bleeding had stopped, how kind! I've been icing lots and chilling on the couch all day, the pain is there but it's bearable right now. I would have gotten this done so much sooner if I knew how easy it is!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for making this thread! I discovered I would have to have my wisdom teeth removed a few days ago, and I have been scared to death. I am more afraid of surgery than death currently (I have never had a surgery.). This has caused so much relief for me. There are so many stories of the experience not being close to meeting the experience the participants' anxieties had created in their heads.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety, and I have found that I have never experienced an event that went worse than the version of it I had made up in my head. I immediately expect the worse from everything, but this thread makes me think that I have been severely overreacting.

I hope to post my story once I complete my surgery in a few months. I want to help people who will be going through what I am experiencing now.
:)
Thanks again! You have helped me so much.

Impacted Wisdom Tooth Surgical Extraction with only local anaes - No Hitch and 100% Done!

I just wanted to share this with forumers - my experience with an impacted wisdom tooth surgery.

I fear dentists like you can't imagine - have never been to one in 27 years of my life - I kid you not! Until my wisdom tooth got infected and I had no choice but to go. Four different dentists until I found one I could stand (and one who was confident to do it! It was even scarier to find dentists telling me it was too hard a job for them! Yikes!). He was good and I only had local aneasthetic so though I could hear everything and feel the pressure - I was fine.

I only needed painkillers for one day and after that I was fighting fit and out shopping!

If you're scared - let me tell you - It's completely ok but tell yourself how awesome it's going to feel once it's done.

I now have problems with the 2nd molar because I took so long to get this done! But that's another story. Don't wait like I did!

Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth Surgical Extraction with only local anaes - No Hitch and 100% Done!

Congratulations:jump::jump::jump::):jump::yay::bounces::welldone:

Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth Surgical Extraction with only local anaes - No Hitch and 100% Done!

I am glad it went well for you and :thankyou: for taking the time to write about it. I am sure it will help a lot of other people that are nervous when they read it :yayy::yayy::yayy::wow::perfect::dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::butterfly:

Thanks Carole and Mardan!

I have noticed from online resources that most US dentists use GA for dental surgery - we don't have that option in this part of the world unless we specifically request for it and then it costs us 2x more!

So I was pretty scared going on knowing I'd be perfectly awake through it all! I am the biggest chicken ever so if i can - anyone can. :)

Just got all 4 of mine removed today and since I read these forum posts beforehand, I thought I should add to the arsenal for others. I had 2 impacted, 2 partially erupted, removed all at once under IV conscious sedation and local anaesthesia. There were some tears when they sat me down and put an IV in, but the nurse was lovely and put a warm blanket on me to help me relax. The surgeon then started on the local anaesthetic shots (which I have never been brave enough to receive before!) and they barely even hurt. After that I remember nothing at all until being escorted to the recovery room with gauze in my mouth and a very large, numb bottom lip! I think perhaps they saw how nervous I was and were a bit more liberal with the sedation (which I was a ok with). Apparently at some point I asked to take my teeth home, though I have no recollection of this. Once I got home recovery started smoothly (although eating and drinking is difficult with numb lips and tongue) although I've had a particularly nasty bout of nausea today. With pain medication the aching is completely bearable and the nausea subsided eventually after the bleeding stopped. I feel more or less ok now and very proud of myself for getting it done! (My bf even gave me a medal for bravery). Mushy food is already kind of a bummer but at least I can keep it down now. IV is great, would recommend

I was affraid even more so because of my age over 65 which can lead to more problems.

I also have very deep roots and healthy gums which is not a plus when pulling teeth,haha.

One of my wisdom teeth was pulled several weeks ago, no problem surgion ask me if I was ready to get it out, I said yes, he said it was already out. Good luck and I think you'll be just fine.

Complete Bony Impacted Wisdom Teeth REMOVED with IV Sedation!

Hi Everyone,

I first want to say the reason I am posting this is because I was terrified of getting my wisdom teeth removed for as long as I can recall. The forum's success stories have helped me find comfort prior to my extractions so I'm hoping that mine will help someone else who feels like I did.

I have known since my teenage years that my wisdom teeth need to be taken out but have also had a consistant fear of ANY kind of dental work. I have literally put off the procedure for ten years. Since I am now 25, nearing my 26th birthday, and finally graduated college (another success that was far harder than getting my teeth taken care of in retrospect) I needed them due to no longer being able to stay on a parents insurance plan due to age and education status. On top of wanting them removed while I have insurance, I recently found out from my general dentist that all of the teeth were posing a threat to my second molars.

I put the appointment off a few times and finally had a consult with a doctor in the Bay Area. He and his staff were kind. I originally only planned to get the bottom two out, despite needing all four out, because I simply felt better doing two at a time. The Dr. suggested all four and I went for it.

By some kind of miracle he was able to schedule me two days after my consult, which was yesterday. I spent the two days prior to the appointment crying and having major anxiety attacks. I already suffer from OCD and GAD and all of this spiked prior to surgery. I wanted to back out but didn't.

The day of the appointment I was nervous. My boyfriend woke up an hour prior to me and I was anxious. But the doctor gave me a large dose of Valium due to my GAD and I felt slightly relaxed. My boyfriend drove to the appointment and once there I was promptly given laughing gas (be sure to request this is you think you'll need it). I was nervous, but all of the assistants were kind to me and one held my hand. Soon, the doctor came in and by this point I began feeling really relaxed from the gas. He put some kind of cooling agent on my hand and put in the IV, it didn't even hurt. I recall everyone asking me what kind of ice cream I liked and myself saying "anything Ben and Jerry's," and the last thing I recall was asking the doctor when I start counting backwards from 100. I don't recall anything past this.

The next thing I know I am having the assistants waking me up. Immediately, I keep asking where my teeth were, because I wanted to see them because I didn't actually believe they were out. It was really hard for me to believe I actually did it. I recall telling everyone how nice they were and being moved to the recovery room. I keep trying to get up and walk around and they assistants kept having to corral me back to the recovery room -- kind of funny when you think of it.

Long story short, get it done! I know its hard. I worried about everything humanly possible before this procedure and it made me a mess. I believe it was such bad anxiety that it was ruining my enjoyment of life. I wish you all knew how easy and painless this has been and how it is so far less bad than the anxiety you live with surrounding it.

My advice -- do it. I promise you'll be okay and feel like yourself again once it's done.

:):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Against all odds my four wisdom teeth extraction actually resulted in something pleasant

Having dental anxiety, this whole wisdom teeth ordeal has been the most painful and stressful and unpleasant experience ever, besides when I completely shattered my left arm. However amidst all this pain, and goopy blood and paranoia about dry socket, I realized that for the first time I could remember, I was able to breathe through both of my nostrils at the same time. I have always had extremely limited nasal air flow, super tight sinuses, but once my wisdom teeth were removed they opened up completely. I had never considered this as the reason for my sinus issues and in retrospect it makes sense because the upper molars are directly nestled under your sinuses. Whenever I tried to get nasal help from my doctor the best they could ever think of was that damn spray. This is a huge and unanticipated benefit of a surgery that otherwise decimated my psyche. I think it is useful information for this community to see that this damned procedure has some possible benefits other than basically fixing mother nature's shortcomings. Doctors should know about this! I would've gotten my wisdoms extracted years ago if I knew it would fix my breathing. Yoga is going to be so much better.

Advice for anyone over 40 having their wisdom teeth removed

Hi there, I am 45 years old and 10 days ago had three of my wisdom teeth removed.

Before the procedure I used this website for help and support, but noticed on the internet there were few stories by people my age as to what they went to when they had their teeth removed. It can be slightly more complicated for older patients and what I wanted was to be able to hear someone elses experience.

What I have done then is put together a blog of what happened to me.

It can be found here: https://wisdomteethstory.wordpress.com/

It takes the story from the initial decision up to today. It will be updated over the next few weeks up to complete recovery.

Although every case is different I hope it helps anyone else my age who is worried about what is going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back