• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Words of comfort greatly needed

N

nutfig

Hi everyone, I am scheduled to have my left lower (non-impacted I think) wisdom tooth removed due to a huge cavity on August 21st under sedation. I have all kinds of fears and questions and this looks like a wonderfully helpful forum.

The reason I have to wait so long for a removal is because they were unable to get an X-ray at my regular dentist office because they kept jamming the device into my mouth which was too large and made me gag repeatedly. The dentist I will see in August, ("Dr. L") has an orbital X-ray machine.

In the meantime Im taking Cipro to ward off any infection which is especially important since I have a heart condition.

Im very anxious and would like to get the tooth removed as soon as possible because its causing a mostly dull, sporadic ache in my surrounding jaw, gums, and teeth, and Im worried about developing an infection or abscessed tooth even though Im taking Cipro. In the meantime Im brushing and using mouth wash after every meal everyday.

There is another dentist in town ( "Dr. F" ) who my dad goes to for dental work and Im going to make an appointment with him next week. He doesnt have an orbital X-ray machine but if he is still able to get an X-ray of my tooth Im thinking of letting him remove it even though he doesnt use the sedation method, only local anesthesia.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, or words of wisdom (no pun intended) that they would like to share. Thanks in advance, it will be GREATLY appreciated:)

Last edited:
Help! Scared about wisdom tooth removal (major cavity)

Hi everyone, I am scheduled to have my left lower (non-impacted I think) wisdom tooth removed due to a huge cavity on August 21st under sedation. I have all kinds of fears and questions and this looks like a wonderfully helpful forum.

The reason I have to wait so long for a removal is because they were unable to get an X-ray at my regular dentist office because they kept jamming the device into my mouth which was too large and made me gag repeatedly. The dentist I will see in August, ("Dr. L") has an orbital X-ray machine.

In the meantime Im taking Cipro to ward off any infection which is especially important since I have a heart condition.

Im very anxious and would like to get the tooth removed as soon as possible because its causing a mostly dull, sporadic ache in my surrounding jaw, gums, and teeth, and Im worried about developing an infection or abscessed tooth even though Im taking Cipro. In the meantime Im brushing and using mouth wash after every meal everyday.

There is another dentist in town ( "Dr. F" ) who my dad goes to for dental work and Im going to make an appointment with him next week. He doesnt have an orbital X-ray machine but if he is still able to get an X-ray of my tooth Im thinking of letting him remove it even though he doesnt use the sedation method, only local anesthesia.

Since I have a huge cavity, Im worried that my tooth will fracture during the extraction and I was wondering what to expect if that happens.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, or words of wisdom (no pun intended) that they would like to share. Thanks in advance, it will be GREATLY appreciated:)

No words of wisdom, but I hope everything goes well for you!

My husband had his molar pulled and it cracked. The dentist pulled the pieces out individually and my husband said it was actually easier that way, as there wasn't as much tugging and yanking. He just had local anesthetic as well.

From experience, I always have trouble with the x ray plates making me gag and not fitting. My current dentist uses the child size plates on me, as I have a small jaw and they have worked much better! Maybe suggest that?

Back