• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about a deep filling

J

Jebb

Hello, and sorry to trouble. I've always been pretty nervous/anxious to go to the dentist as I've had multiple bad/painful experiences and it doesn't help that I am pretty bad with needles (which is something I have been working on, but it will take a very long time to achieve). It's kind of recent that I resolved to address and take care of my teeth, which hasn't been easy- I can't undo past me's bad oral hygiene :')

So here's the background: I had 2 deep fillings done on my molars (one top, one bottom) about a month ago, and I was told that both were very close to the nerve. My dentist put some medicine? Before doing the filling- the decay was on the side of the tooth, so it was a little tricky to fill (but he did!)

Post op, I was initially alright for a few days, but then something triggered a sharp pain in my tooth; which led to about a week of consistent mild throbbing pain and occasional jabs? Of sharp pain that radiated around the tmj + jaw + sinus area. There was never any pain when biting down, mostly just reactions to very hot/cold stuff. I took an occasional painkiller, but most of the time it was manageable, but annoying.

After that, it seemed to get better, and pain mostly cleared up. I went for a checkup and x ray, and my dentist said that it seemed to be healing, and that the nerve was alive (cold test- pain was only like 3s long) which is a good sign. It's been steadily getting better- but at this time, it is still sensitive to cold/hot; and I get a flash of sharp pain which goes away quickly, but will leave a mild ache in the jaw/tmj area that will slowly calm down (after an hour?) But it's kind of making me nervous each time, and I'm wondering if I need to be scared of another root canal which I can't really afford at the moment- or is this a normal healing process? But does it usually take this long to heal?

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's hard to say without looking at it but if it's improving and the pain still goes away quickly then it sounds like it's doing OK.