• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about old crowns

K

klol

I have 5 crowns in my mouth (3 molar, 2 on premolars). I also have recent terrible dental anxiety that started in May of last year after a filling was broken. The emergency dentist I went to patched over it instead of replacing it causing pain for a month while telling me it was ok before I finally could get in to my regular dentist. I hadn’t been to my regular dentist in 2 years and hadn’t been caring for my teeth the best although now I brush 2-3x with new electric toothbrush and high fluoride toothpaste, floss every day and rinse with water after sweets. Since then I’ve been consistently worried about my teeth all the time. It’s gotten better and my anxiety happens less and less but when it does come, it’s all my brain can focus on while I run my tongue over my teeth.

Currently my anxiety is fixated on my crowns. I’m worried that there’s decay under my crowns. I recently had my 6 month check up with my dentist and he did xrays and physical exam, and said everything looked pretty darn great. The hygienist said there was really not much for her to clean and was very impressed with my home care. But I keep worrying that there’s decay the dentists missed since it seems like you can’t see decay under a crowned tooth on an X-ray.

Are there signs I’d be having if there was decay under a crown?

My dental anxiety started last year as well ? I don’t have any answers for you about decay under the crown but just wanted to let you know your not alone. It does sound like you doing a great job with home care so I can’t imagine there would be an issue but maybe someone else here can ease your anxiety over it a bit more than I can

My dental anxiety started last year as well ? I don’t have any answers for you about decay under the crown but just wanted to let you know your not alone. It does sound like you doing a great job with home care so I can’t imagine there would be an issue but maybe someone else here can ease your anxiety over it a bit more than I can
Your username is upsettingly relatable. Sometimes it is nice to know we’re not alone, isn’t it? ?

Your username is upsettingly relatable. Sometimes it is nice to know we’re not alone, isn’t it? ?
? my username describes me to a tee the past year ? upsetting to me as too in a way I was never like this before.

It's perfectly possible to see decay under a crown on an x-ray, also you can detect it by physically looking and probing round the margins. Given your home care it's very unlikely that you're going to have an issue with them.

Back