• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about pain after filling

C

chamomile

Hi, I'm new here and am really nervous about dental work even though I've had a lot done. Recently I had part of a filling fall out, and my dentist cleaned out all of the filling and put in a new one. I had zero pain before going in to get the filling redone. It's been a week and my tooth is still slightly sore when I bite down hard, but it otherwise does not hurt when I'm not biting on it. I asked the dentist and he said the filling was not close to the nerve although it did reach the dentin layer. Is this lingering pain normal?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sounds like you need the bite adjusted.

C

chamomile

@Gordon Thanks for your help! I did get my bite checked but it looks and feels fine. There is only pain when I clench down really hard. Is there anything else that could explain this?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sure, but that's the easiest to check and fix. Next culprit would be a bonding failure (you don't mention what kind of filling it was, I'm assuming composite?). Without seeing you then that's the next likely reason. Sometimes giving the tooth another blast from the curing light can sort it, in extreme cases the filling would need redone.