• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about pain in my composite filling...

U

urban.i.stika

Worried about pain in my composite filled tooth...

Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of being treated by my dentist after a long (over 15 years) hiatus from all things dentistry. I have a few questions in relation to some pain I have been having today in a tooth that was recently filled.

Last Friday I had 2 fillings in my upper right second premolar and second molar, of which the dentist said were fairly moderate in size. The previous week I had the 1st molar on the same side (i.e. the tooth in between the other two) filled, with what the dentist described as a large filling. All these new fillings are composite, with the one in the 1st molar half-replacing an old amalgam filling. So the 1st molar now has a composite filling in the front half and an amalgam in the back half.

I had no pain from the first filling, just some minimal sensitivity when chewing. But as of this afternoon, I have developed considerable pain in what feels like the 2nd molar. I should note that my wisdom tooth on that side has not fully erupted and needs to come out as it's pushing against the 2nd molar. The pain has basically spread throughout my jaw, and it's a shooting kind of pain through the tooth itself.

Could it be the nerve dying? I'm really worried I might need a root canal...:cry:

Is it ok to have half composite/half amalgam filled teeth? Could the pain be coming from the large filling, rather than the second molar?

Is it normal to not have pain for a few days after the procedure and then for strong pain to appear?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm really super worried about this one. :(

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry, you need to go back to your dentist ASAP.

There's not much point in guessing answers to your questions because you'll still be in pain... you might as well get more accurate advice when you're getting your toothache sorted out.

Thanks Gordon

Funnily enough, the pain went away after taking some ibuprofin pretty much immediately. It hasn't come back yet, but I'll be returning to the dentist on Friday anyway. If the pain comes back before then, I'll make an appointment.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you about my filling pain. It seems to have subsided and is now minimal sensitivity when eating on that side. I went back to the dentist today to get another large filling put in on the other side and he told me that sometimes the pain can come from the Matrix band irritating between the teeth/gums. He didn't seem too worried about it, as long as the pain is subsiding, so that makes me feel more comfortable about things.

So fingers cross this next filling doesn't give me any grief. :thumbsup:

u

Back