• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

worried about root canal failing

A

apartments

About 2 weeks ago I had the second part of a root canal finished and I had some minor swelling of my cheek since then and I wasn't worried about it too much because it didn't seem to be getting any worse. Well today I noticed that the inside of my lip over the eye tooth(where I had the root canal) is now swollen. It doesn't hurt but feels like there is a marble under my lip. My cheek isn't very painful except when I touch along side my nose and even then it is mild and feels like it is bruised and a bit tender over the nerve. The tooth itself feels mildly sensitive to tapping and when I bite down. I go back on March 5th to finish up another root canal I had on an incisor last friday. Should I wait until the 5th or is this something I should get taken care of as soon as possible.

the dentist said that the root canal looked good on the x-ray. What could be causing this? It doesn't look inflamed just swollen. Anyone have an experience like this?

This was my first root canal and I don't know what exactly to expect as far as healing goes.

Thank You.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi and welcome,

sadly I cannot serve you with a medical / dental advice, but I believe that if you are worried about anything that is happening in your mouth, or have any questions, or just need to get some inner peace, the only right thing to do is to call your office, explain it to them and ask to be seen.

Unexpected things that happen after a procedure can be scary and bring up a lot of insecurities so it's always valid to contact the practice.

I would say that the problem with dental anxiety is that we generally tend to contact the dentist way too rarely than too often, out of insecurity and fear while our kind caring dentists would for sure be happy to answer our questions rather then let us google and guess and worry. :)

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Last edited:
DrTeeth

DrTeeth

Former Member
There can be swellings after root treatments and root fillings can fail (nothing works 100%) even if they look great on x-ray. It can, in worst cases, take up to a year for a root filled tooth to settle down. Just talk to your dentist and he will look after it.

Cheers

DrT

Last edited:
L

Littlesmore

I would just call the dentist and see if he/she wants you to come in or not!

A

apartments

Well, on Monday I went back to the dentist and she said that the tissue was inflamed from the fact that it had been a fairly bad infection and that it was still sensitive from being worked on and it would take some time for the surrounding tissue to settle down, but that the root canal itself looked good and that there was no infection in it.

She gave me amoxicillin just in case there was any residual infection left and it does seem to be getting better now. So that's a relief. I was fearing the worst like I would have to have the tooth pulled after all the work she had done to it.

A

apartments

It's me again...

And now after my cheek seeming to start getting better it stopped. It's not getting worse, but it is about the same as it was a few days ago now. I went back to the dentist yesterday and she took an x-ray because she wanted to see if there were any signs of infection because of my symptoms continuing dispite taking antibiotics.

She seemed (to me) surprised that the root canal still looked good but she said that it could still be inflammation and that sometimes it can take some time to settle. She did seem concerned that it might have to eventually be extracted but that she only wanted to do that as a last resort.

My question is, if there is no sign of infection in the root canal itself why would my cheek still have a hard lump by my nose where the root of the tooth is and why would my upper lip one still be slightly swollen on the inside? Before I had it root canalled the only symptom I had was just pain in the tooth when it was exposed to something cold like ice water but there was no swelling or pain otherwise.

I did feel like something wasn't quite right after the root canal had been finished but I couldn't say what exactly but on the other hand the x-ray suggests that it was done well and that there is no infection.

could there be damage to my cheek/lip from the needle or anesthetic ? The dentist said she didn't think that was like because the needles are small but something is going on and I starting to really worry about losing the tooth.

Also to add during the time I had just the temp filling in the tooth felt fine but after the second part of the root canal is when these sympoms began.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

An x ray is just one mean of collecting information. It is difficult to diagnose only according to an X ray.
If the lump you are telling is about is caused by the tooth (a fistula), it should also secrete some inflammation which has a bitter-metallic taste.
In addition, in most cases the tooth should be also sensitive to pressure.

A

apartments

Hi,

An x ray is just one mean of collecting information. It is difficult to diagnose only according to an X ray.
If the lump you are telling is about is caused by the tooth (a fistula), it should also secrete some inflammation which has a bitter-metallic taste.
In addition, in most cases the tooth should be also sensitive to pressure.

That is exactly what happened. Yesterday I had to go in as an emergency and get the tooth extracted because an infection developed around the root and I had a gumboil over the tooth itself. I was told the tooth was iffy that it could be saved but I at least wanted to try.

Thanks to everyone who answered.

R

Roma

I had a temporary crown put on my front tooth. Went to dentist to have permanent crown on. They had a lot of problems taking the temporary crown off and hurt the tooth. Now they are saying I need a root canal. It hurts to bite down on tooth. Very worried it’s a front tooth. The permanent crown is on .