• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about swallowing a broken tooth in my sleep

G

gilbertine

Hello, I recently plucked up the courage to go and see a dentist after 16 years. I cracked a tooth (one that has an amalgam filling in it). The tooth is cracked from top to bottom down one side. The dentist said she would remove the tooth in two weeks time. Meanwhile, I'm panicking that the loose bit of tooth will be dislodged while I am asleep and possibly choke me. Any suggestions? Should I try and remove it myself with dental floss? It's playing on my mind all the time. Thanks.

Gilbertine,

Really good for you for getting up the courage after so long! That is so huge. I would not be doing well with that advice either and want it out asap. I'm sorry they will not do it sooner? might they do it if they have cancellation try to get you in earlier? Can you try another practice? I have the same fears about this so can totally understand how while it may not be an emergency for them, it is a huge peace of mind thing for yourself..! I hope you find someone to get it out soon!

Agreed! Well done for displaying such courage.

I swallowed several baby teeth, made it out okay.

If it happens (unlikely), you will almost certainly be just fine.

Gilbertine,

Really good for you for getting up the courage after so long! That is so huge. I would not be doing well with that advice either and want it out asap. I'm sorry they will not do it sooner? might they do it if they have cancellation try to get you in earlier? Can you try another practice? I have the same fears about this so can totally understand how while it may not be an emergency for them, it is a huge peace of mind thing for yourself..! I hope you find someone to get it out soon!
I

Thanks, I feel a bit better now.

Hi,

In addition to the great comments written above, I imagine that it is very difficult to chew on the side where the cracked tooth is. If that is the case, I would recommend making an effort to have the tooth extracted earlier. Chewing on one side can be very tiring for the TMJ.

Back