• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried that a filling may have been done improperly. Help?

• Thread starter the tofu survivor
  • Start date
T

the tofu survivor

I had a filling done a couple days ago. My dentist said the decay was close to the nerve so she added something in the tooth called Dycal before she did the filling. She asked her assistant if it needed to be cured and the assistant said no, so the rest of the filling was finished and that was that. I don't usually get fixated on one detail like that, but it worried me that she needed to ask her assistant about it because I felt like it was something she should have known. On a hunch I came home and looked it up online and it said Dycal is in fact supposed to be light cured. Did she do something wrong by not curing it?

The reason I'm asking about this is because the tooth has been bothering me off and on since the day after the filling was done. It was sore yesterday and the day before while I was lying in bed after brushing my teeth and from what I understand teeth aren't supposed to be spontaneously painful after a filling. They should only be sensitive to pressure or temperature for a while.

there are 2 forms of dycal. One is mixed so it self cures and the other is light cured.

Okay so it could be because it was so close to the nerve. I sure hope it settles down in a few days so I don't need a root canal. I had no pain at all in the tooth before the filling.

Back