• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worse case scenario

@Enarete - I eventually got my husband to talk to the boys and explain. They have been amazing (of course ?) with lots of hugs to get me through the last couple of weeks. Think they are pretty relieved that today was teeth day though and things can get back to some sort of normality!

Oh wow. I forget to tell you the best bit. The girls at the dentist office were so proud of how well I've done they bought me lovely flowers to "celebrate" my new teeth- isn't that lovely?

Wow.. that is sooo thoughtful and touching they would do this!! What a beautiful place!! wow...Thanks for all your inspiration!!

Ok day 2 - everything hurts. Not total agony just annoying sore spots a general aches. I'm persevering but it's tough!

Food I can currently eat - porridge
Food I can't eat - everything else! I'd actually manage better without the teeth in but I will not give in...

Speech still tough and so is the gagging which makes it tough to practice speaking but not going to beat myself up - it's only been a shade over 24 hours.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Let us know how you're doing.

We'll day 3 and I'm hanging in there. Eating is getting easier though it takes a long long time so cold food mostly!

The bottom denture fits well - may be a bit too well as digging in a bit. Will ask dentist if that can be fixed but don't want to loose the good fit I have.

The process of removing them each night and putting back in the mornings is still pretty depressing and feels like such a faff. Sure I'll get used to it. ..eventually.

Only thing really bugging me is my speech. Still sounds like I am chewing on a gobstopper and if I try to speak to loudly I am still gagging a bit. Any advice on that welcome.

Hope these updates help those also facing extractions and dentures.

Just wanted to let you know I’m still following your updates and I’m sending a lot of good thoughts your way. You’ve kept such a good, positive attitude throughout this whole process and I’m so impressed with how well you’re doing! Hoping it gets better everyday.

Day 5 I think...

Lots of sore spots today so have an appointment tomorrow morning for those. Speech a little better I think as is chewing but soreness slowing that down a bit.

Am trying to keep busy and ignore teeth...

I hope your dentist got it all squared away and you’re able to chew better! Keep us posted, and congrats on keeping an overall positive attitude throughout this period of adjustment. You’re doing great!

Well here I am. Exactly 1 week since I got my teeth and 3 weeks since my extractions.

At low moments I feel I'm not getting to grips with it all but in better times I'm able to remind myself that it is still really early I the process.

The teeth feel ok most of the time - not in any way natural but other than a couple of small sore spots they don't hurt and once glued in they stay put which I know makes me one of the lucky ones.

My speech is improving and I suspect in brief conversation no one would notice anything though a few words sound off to me - like I've got a slight lisp- th and sh are the worst!

I am getting into the routine of caring for them, getting the right amount of adhesive etc but still need a good 15 mins of faffing each morning.

I've had no nasty moments sneezing coughing or any times when I've felt the teeth might fall out!

Biggest frustration is still chewing. I've made a little progress but it's very slow and my food choices remain limited. I really need to get to grips with this next week as I can't really afford to loose any more weight- my jeans are falling down!

So I guess that's not bad for this stage in the game.

I hope that things are still moving in the right direction for you.

Well another week and creeping forward in terms of progress - some good days some bad.

Still some soreness especially if I am experimenting with chewing but just haven't had time to arrange another adjustment and they are honestly not that bad. But I'm pretty glad at bedtime to give my mouth a good rest.

Speech is good as long as I don't speak too fast and I do notice it getting a bit lispy towards the end of the day as the denture glue loosens.

Chewing is up and down (haha) and I am frustrated it's slow going. A couple of mistimed chews and the teeth start wobbling all over the place and that's the end of that so still need to be real careful and sticking with semi soft food still. I'm also not comfortable eating in front of others yet so that can be a problem at work and I won't be eating out for a bit yet. This is getting me down.

There is no doubt the teeth are getting looser and more glue is needed and I suspect by next week I may need to re-apply as the day progresses. Nor sure where my dentist stands on relines- threres nothing mentioned on my treatment plan so I'm going to try and hang on for a bit.

Now I just need to work on my shattered confidence. I'm still not comfortable showing off my teeth or with looking in the mirror so work to do there. Booking a hair appointment and sitting staring at myself for a good hour or two is my next nemesis to overcome!

Hi there! I just wanted to make a suggestion that you should feel free to ask your dentist for an adjustment if needed. It isn’t written on my treatment plan either, but when I asked I was told adjustments are to be expected as things shrink and move around. Needing more adhesive is a sign that things need to be adjusted and relined.

Also a tip with chewing to prevent wobbling is to take small bites and chew on both sides of your mouth at the same time. It feels unnatural to do this at first because if you’re like me and had mouth pain for a while you favor one side for chewing. It helps get rid of wobbling for me so I hope that it helps you too. You’re doing very well through this adjustment period and should be very proud of yourself! :)

Wow I haven't updated in ages. I guess that's a good sign. Ok so where am I today after 3 weeks ? I am getting better at managing the teeth (still issues with the word dentures!) And can get the adhesive in the right place so it generally lasts all day. This helps with my confidence but I still wish it was easier. I can chew ok some of the time but by the evening things are wobbling about and the sore spots are back so dinner is a challenge. I can bite gently with my front teeth though which is pretty exciting as haven't been able to do that in years!

I'm still favouring soft food but if I can sort these last few sore spots I might be able to tackle something more challenging. I did eat some Pringles. Wow that was nice and crunchy!

My speech is fine except again at the end of the day when I can hear a bit of a lisp creeping back in and I sometimes get caught out with a bit of gagging. Not sure if it's movement or just my jaw and mouth getting tired.

I said pre teeth that I would be sleeping in them as never wanted anyone to see me without them. Sadly they are way too uncomfortable for that so a lot of sneaking about in the dark and getting up early at the moment. And yes I know you aren't supposed to sleep in them but my dentist was ok with it as long as I keep everything clean and try and have an occasional night off!

I think one more adjustment and I will maybe be over the hump. Fingers crossed.

So glad to get an update! It sounds like things continue to improve, even if more slowly than you would hope. Sending good thoughts that things continue to get better each day.

Back