• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

worsening pain after increasing brushing

I

insomnicat

I got in the bad habit of not brushing my teeth often starting 10 years ago after I turned 18 and stopped going to do my 6 month checkups because of lack of insurance. I'm paying the consequences now, but trying to get back in the habit of brushing often. The only problem is that when I start brushing a couple times a day after a few days I get really bad headaches, my teeth hurt worse, and there's very sore like pain down my neck and shoulders. This seems to worsen every day where pain relievers dont work. I then stop brushing and the pain goes subsides to a minimal amount within a few days. If I keep brushing and bare through the pain will my gums heal where I'm not experiencing this pain? I use sensodyne so it doesn't hurt when I brush. I still get the headaches and shoulder/neck pain though.

Hey
Theoretically speaking: if a person brushes the teeth perfectly (that means all sides of the teeth are brushed, not only with a brush but also between the teeth) than once a day is sufficient.
However, we are only humans, so it is recommended to brush twice a day (and once a day between the teeth).
If you clean your teeth effectively, twice a day of brushing is enough. More often than that is not effective. Mouthwash is also nice, but it is only an extra. The real deal is mechanical removal of bacteria (with brushing and cleaning between the teeth for example with a floss). Mouthwash effect the bacteria chemically bit not mechanically.

I'm not sure what the connection would be to brushing, but your symptoms sound like TMJ. Perhaps you are opening too wide or clenching and grinding is somehow associated after brushing . Try a lighter technique, brushing too hard isn't necessary and does more harm than good. .
Is the pain toothaches? radiating from the mouth up and down or more upper back and shoulders associated with keeping your arms raised for extended periods of time- might be worth mentioning to your medical doctor.

rp

Back