• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worst gag reflex ever

T

tlc1976

Hello, 1st post. I've been turned down everywhere locally, so I'm looking for more options. I'll be honest, I'm not actually afraid of the dentist, but many solutions may still be relevant. Since as far as I can remember, I've had a gag reflex unlike any other. Dentistry is nearly impossible, except looking very carefully with a thin mirror. No internal x rays. Luckily my teeth have held out a long time, but no anymore, I'm 41 and I need work done.

Here' the situation. I've already been told I have a small mouth. Brushing the rears well, or flossing at all, is not possible. I sometimes can't even handle a full bite of food without spitting it into my hand. No vampire teeth. No top buttons or neckties, or seat belt or shirt rubbing on my neck. I can't blow up balloons or play wind instruments.

I'm an engineer, mechanic, I have been through surgeries as a kid, afraid of nothing healthwise. Not afraid of dentistry. I'm the kind of guy who would cut the gag reflex wire in my body if I could find it. It makes me feel very worthless when everywhere I go, people can't work on me. They say I can do IV sedation, and had wisdom teeth out that way, but say they will only do oral surgery under sedation (even though their websites say otherwise). The thought of stuffing dentures in my mouth, well that's probably why my grandpa never wore his. I want to keep my teeth. Right now I just finished antibiotics (am trying to get an appointment scheduled). Need a root canal to start, and would like everything possible done while I'm out.

Will anybody in Northwest lower Michigan do a root canal and other routine things under sedation?

I would saw that the most difficult procedure to do on a gagger is a molar endo on a bottom tooth. Not im possible but very difficult. You may need to travel to find someone.
By the way you aren't the worst gagger.

Yes that's exactly what needs done too.

Just wondering, in a year I will be able to leave this area, for an area with more options. If I were to have it extracted, can I get an implant later? Or does the jaw no longer accept it? The only thing they will do under sedation is extraction. I don't understand the difference if I am willing to give them my business and am willing to pay for it. They do agree a root canal is the best choice.

If you saw an OMS then all they do are extractions. You need to either see an endodontist who does sedation or find a general dentist who does IV sedation.
I can tell you that oral based sedation just won't work for you even with IV its difficult.

If you saw an OMS then all they do are extractions. You need to either see an endodontist who does sedation or find a general dentist who does IV sedation.
I can tell you that oral based sedation just won't work for you even with IV its difficult.

They do both root canals and extractions (or say they do), and they advertise sedation for all services, but it's like when you ask they get all funny and don't want to offer it.

If I understand correctly, IV sedation is being put out completely? I had my wisdom teeth all removed at once that way with no issue. The only issue was gagging on the gauze upon waking up, but thankfully I'm not much of a bleeder so we took it out.

Grape Trick- on your own or with a therapist

Patient chooses appropriate sized grapes

Initially the patient places 1 grape in the mouth for 5 minutes letting it roll around and being careful not to bite the grape for 5 minutes. Must be timed

Patient works their way up to having 2 grapes in the mouth for 5 minutes. Must be timed.

Finally patient places 3 grapes in the mouth for 5 minutes letting it roll around and being careful not to bite the grapes for 5 minutes. Must be timed.

When the patient is able to do the above procedure the they can call back for a screening appointment bringing in appropriate sized grapes and is able to demonstrate the ability not to gag

After successful demonstration an appointment is made for the next dental procedure.

Patient is to bring in grapes to appointment at each subsequent visit

Grape Trick- on your own or with a therapist

Patient chooses appropriate sized grapes

Initially the patient places 1 grape in the mouth for 5 minutes letting it roll around and being careful not to bite the grape for 5 minutes. Must be timed

Patient works their way up to having 2 grapes in the mouth for 5 minutes. Must be timed.

Finally patient places 3 grapes in the mouth for 5 minutes letting it roll around and being careful not to bite the grapes for 5 minutes. Must be timed.

When the patient is able to do the above procedure the they can call back for a screening appointment bringing in appropriate sized grapes and is able to demonstrate the ability not to gag

After successful demonstration an appointment is made for the next dental procedure.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand this. A patient has to prove they won’t gag before an appointment will be made? Instead of using sedation, they humiliate? This makes me more afraid as my gag reflex is quite terrible too. :confused:

I’m sorry, I don’t understand this. A patient has to prove they won’t gag before an appointment will be made? Instead of using sedation, they humiliate? This makes me more afraid as my gag reflex is quite terrible too. :confused:

Not at all. This is a technique that I heard about. The purpose of this is the exact opposite in that it allows someone to learn control and not be helpless with uncontrollable retching.
Severe gaggers are unable to brush well or floss their teeth and they are even difficult to manage under sedation. You are much better off if you can gain some control over your own body rather than utilize drugs.

I don't think anyone would disagree that desensitisation is a good thing - the issue is with this:

Having to "demonstrate the ability not to gag" and not being allowed to make a treatment appointment until "successful demonstration" has taken place conjures up images of circus ponies and Victorian schoolmasters, rather than a trusting and respectful relationship.

Why not just ask the person how they've been getting on, rather than have them come in for a "screening appointment" where they have to perform their "trick" in front of an audience of 1 :dunno:?

I don't think anyone would disagree that desensitisation is a good thing - the issue is with this:

Having to "demonstrate the ability not to gag" and not being allowed to make a treatment appointment until "successful demonstration" has taken place conjures up images of circus ponies and Victorian schoolmasters, rather than a trusting and respectful relationship.

Why not just ask the person how they've been getting on, rather than have them come in for a "screening appointment" where they have to perform their "trick" in front of an audience of 1 :dunno:?

Obviously some things can't be effectively communicated on a forum and this seems to be one of them as people are taking this the wrong way.

The grape trick challenge

Yes I realise that it was probably just copied and pasted from somewhere :). It was just the way it was worded.

However - have you actually tried this grape trick yourself? I just did and after about 5 seconds started retching violently. To top it all off, I then nearly choked on that damn grape! I should add that I normally don't have any problems with gagging.

I would love to find out if anyone here manages to do this for a full 5 minutes.

Let the grape trick challenge begin :grin:! (Disclaimer: Dental Fear Central will not be held liable for any injury!)

I tried it out right after reading that post back then (but I took cherry tomatoes because I hadn't any grapes at home.. ) and it was interesting and for sure great for desensitization. I just felt so incredibly stupid doing this so I stopped after about 10 seconds.

letsconnect, you just motivated me to get some grapes on Monday and keep trying :giggle:

Back