• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worst mistake of my life?

D

Dianne1946

3 days ago I had my roots extracted to two teeth. Front and one beside it. They previously had caps from a motorbike accident at 15. But root was broken. Anyways they are gone. I have a flipper. Feel like I made a huge mistake. Sounds like this implant thing can take up to a year. I’m terrified of wearing this flipper. I hate it. I can’t eat. I’m biting on metal. Help!!

My oral surgeon said that front teeth implants don't typically take as long. You can get the crown and implant at the same time in some cases.

I just got an implant put in on a molar, and it is a long process. I had the tooth extracted in October, just got the implant post put in on Tuesday, and will get the crown in 6 months.

I am possibly going to lose my front top tooth (from a childhood injury also), and I am not looking forward to the flipper either. The eating part is what worries me also. The oral surgeon told me I wouldn't be a candidate for the same day crown and implant.

Hi Dianne,

Sorry to read about your struggle. Making a mistake sounds like you had options, which I can hardly imagine - if the roots were broken then extraction probably was necessary. Is there anything particular that make you feel like you made a mistake? Getting used to a flipper takes time, not only for your mouth to get used to it but also for you to process the treatment. Did you talk to your dentist about how long an implant will take?

Sending you hugs, hope you feel better soon.

Yes. I did have options. I could have went with a bridge but didn’t want to damage two healthy teeth to get one. My dentist said about 3-6 months for healing after bone graft then 3-6 months after implant goes in. I didn’t really understand it would be this difficult with a flipper. I didn’t know I wouldn’t be able to eat with it that well. I didn’t know I’d have to take it out at night. I didn’t know I’d want to take it out for more comfort. Ugh.

Yes. I did have options. I could have went with a bridge but didn’t want to damage two healthy teeth to get one. My dentist said about 3-6 months for healing after bone graft then 3-6 months after implant goes in. I didn’t really understand it would be this difficult with a flipper. I didn’t know I wouldn’t be able to eat with it that well. I didn’t know I’d have to take it out at night. I didn’t know I’d want to take it out for more comfort. Ugh.

Which kind did you get? I have been looking at them, and was leaning toward the Essix retainer, but it said you couldn't eat with that one in. I would imagine it would be even harder with the kind that goes across the top of your mouth.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a bridge either. Like you said, it comprises two healthy teeth, and is permanent, versus a flipper, which is temporary.

It seems like forever now, but keep in mind that the implant wil give you a new tooth, without damaging other teeth.

I’m trying to see the big picture. It’s hard today. I got the kind that kinda sits on the roof of your mouth. It has two teeth on it. It feels like I have 2 hubba bubba pieces of gum in my mouth while biting on paper clips.

Nothing to add, but wanted to say I read your posts and really feel for you. I hope things start looking up as you adjust and that the flipper really works out until the implant happens!

I’m trying to see the big picture. It’s hard today. I got the kind that kinda sits on the roof of your mouth. It has two teeth on it. It feels like I have 2 hubba bubba pieces of gum in my mouth while biting on paper clips.

I understand how it is hard to see the big picture now. I have struggled with that over the past year, with several extractions, and now possibly my front tooth also. I can only imagine how hard it would be to adjust to a flipper.

Dianne, I will let you know how I go because I will be getting one of these tomorrow. The long term is the way to see it I think and hope that you are slowly adjusting to it. I have read that this happens for some.

Dianne, I will let you know how I go because I will be getting one of these tomorrow. The long term is the way to see it I think and hope that you are slowly adjusting to it. I have read that this happens for some.
Good luck today.

Diane1946.

Just want to say I too am reading and here in support , I have not had a flipper, but I do know the part it is hard to wait for the process to work itself out and can imagine how hard it is and frustrating to not be able to eat and function. (Had an implant starting 2 years ago took about 7 months total) I remember when getting my bottom partial just the feeling is great frustration and anxiety.Espeically with the eating is really hard I can imagine. I hope the process and healing goes quicker than you can imagine and the end result is so worth it . In the meantime, it is hard.. find ways to be kind to yourself and process in the difficulty. We are here for you. I can say though my wait was hard the end result was definately worth it .

and good luck Sally UK!!

Diane1946.

Just want to say I too am reading and here in support , I have not had a flipper, but I do know the part it is hard to wait for the process to work itself out and can imagine how hard it is and frustrating to not be able to eat and function. (Had an implant starting 2 years ago took about 7 months total) I remember when getting my bottom partial just the feeling is great frustration and anxiety.Espeically with the eating is really hard I can imagine. I hope the process and healing goes quicker than you can imagine and the end result is so worth it . In the meantime, it is hard.. find ways to be kind to yourself and process in the difficulty. We are here for you. I can say though my wait was hard the end result was definately worth it .

and good luck Sally UK!!
Thanks. How did u cope with eating?

It was hard to get used to ... I didn't have a flipper and I"m imagining that flippers are not as "secure" as partial with metal.. but I think to learn to eat and train our brains and reflexes and muscles to eat differently is really hard .. and frustrating. I mean eating is a necessity. but the more practice I got the better. also sometimes at first it helped to use the adhesive . I don't anymore its been years..

I will say that although I do not have a flipper, I haven't been able to bite with my front teeth since October. I had an abscess on my front tooth, then a root canal, then an apicoectomy. My front tooth is still super sore and unusable. I know how hard it is to adjust to eating differently. It took me a few months to get used to eating differently.

I had implants replace my two front teeth over an 18 month period and while I did not have a flipper, the substitution solution for my two front teeth meant that I could not use them to bite at all. For the entire time I only ate food that could be delivered to my mouth via cutlery or cut into small pieces. It sounds really limiting, but it wasn’t really. As other people have said, I kept my sights on the big picture.

As an added benefit of thinking of food related to my teeth, my eating became much healthier and I lost weight. So much of the food we bite with our front teeth is snack food!

Best of luck with your journey

Different situation, but I have very slight mobility in my upper front teeth due to bruxism. I don’t ever use them to bite. I use cutlery for everything, except things like a bar of chocolate, which I snap with my hands into pieces. I haven’t really used those teeth in a year (despite my dentist telling me I absolutely should, and that they are moving a “hair’s breadth” beyond normal) and I can’t imagine ever biting with them again. I make different choices when eating out, but happily eat something like a burger with a knife and fork at home. I think we just adapt when we have to.

I had a temp partial put in my upper, two teeth out, and lower, four teeth, 10 days ago. I too thought it was the end of the world. Yesterday was my grandson's birthday. It was the first time I had "mingled" with people I know well. I rarely thought about the denture. What people tell you is true. It takes time for you to get used to it. I feel I have turned a small corner, and am sure I will be fine in the long run. Some in the UK have these for life.
Persist. Wear it for as long as you can stand.

Unfortunately an inch of difference in the mouth feels like a mile. We are so sensitive to any changes in the mouth. My bite changed after my root canal and crown and I obsessed about it for about a year and only recently, after having my bite adjusted after a filling on the tooth next to the crown does my bite feel “normal” again. I voiced my concerns about my bite after the crown but my dentist insisted it was fine...it was not fine but fortunately it is now.

Back