• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wow! 1st time for 13 years!!

U

unhappyscared

Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my other posts!

I went to appointment and didnt bottle it! I was initially put off by the receptionist because she said they dont specifically deal with phobics and everyone is scared of the detists anyway, but i rocked up anyway and they were really good to me... As soon as i got called to the dentist (nervous) i explained my fears and embarrasment and she turned out to be a total diamond, really nice... Explained all she was doing and said to raise my hand at anytime and she would stop...
She said the calculus was pretty bad and to examine properly she would need to clean it off (which was what i was worried about) and said if i wanted i could wait untill the next appointment, but i thought what the hell and asked her to do it there and then! :)
It was (i wont lie) pretty uncomfy a couple of times but not too bad, not as bad as i thought and not painfull, (no drugs, gas etc) !! ;D

Turns out i need about 8 fillings :censored: there going to do them over a week in three appointments (ouch)
But at the moment im not worrying too much, just proud i did it... She said my teeth deffo were not the worse she had seen either!
To anyone worried about the first appointment please just try you can walk out at anytime, and dont get put off like i did by the receptionists, i just prob caught them at the wrong time!

Thanks everyone, now i just got to make it through these appointments for the fillings :thumbsup:

Congratulations :jump: despite the receptionist....I'd be worried if a receptionist still thought 'all their patients were still scared' ...it would mean something negative about the dentist but I guess she was actually just trotting out the standard line and it was meant as reassurance that you were not alone :p.

You should get anaesthesia for the fillings so it shouldn't be too bad at all....your job to just lie there and relax really...honestly :p.
Well done you :jump: :party: :jump:

Good Job!!! You're on your way to a better you.If you can get maybe nitrous or something it will definitely make you fillings easier to tolerate.I had it for my last 3 and really noticed a difference.No white knuckles with this dentist.I even went without the valium,mainly cuz I had to drive myself.Turns out I was fine without it :)Good luck and keep us posted

Congratulations on making it to the dentist and for actually letting them start on cleaning at the same time. You have every reason to be proud of yourself. I bet now you're walking on :cloud9: because you have achieved so much and the relief must be tremendous. I bet too it is such a wonderful feeling to be able to run your tongue over smooth clean teeth. Now that you know what's entailed, the next few appointments will be so much easier because you know what's coming, it's always the fear of the unknown that increases the fear factor. If you are in any way apprehensive though I'm sure they can give you something to make it even easier for you. Well done again, you're well on your way now.