• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

X-rays

G

Former Member
Hi Gordon and Mike,

I went to the dentist yesterday (hurrah! lol) and he took some x-rays of my teeth. First I think he examined my teeth with a mirror, and after this I think he said my teeth are fine and have no holes. Then (if I've got it in the right order) he had me bite down on a holder with a small 'plate' thing and took an x-ray of each side of my mouth. He then took alot of the tartar away from my front teeth. Finally I went and had a panoramic x-ray done by the dental nurse before leaving.

I am so happy to have gone to this first visit but now (as they hypochondriac that I am) I am worrying about the x-rays. My mum reckons that the dentist would have been able to see the results of the two small side x-rays immediately and therefore would have said if anything was wrong. But the dentist didn't see my big panoramic x-ray before I left which would have shown my front teeth - the ones I worry most about. So I'm wondering, are these x-rays just for his files, or would I be going back for my next appointment to find something going on with my front teeth. Would he have been able to tell if something really nasty was going on just by his examination of my teeth?

It was really good yesterday though, he took off a load of tartar from my bottom front teeth, and according to the treatment plan sheet he gave me I have 'perio 2 of 2' on my next visit on the 24th. I didn't have any anaesthetic for this visit so I'm assuming I don't actually need a really deep clean, also the little sheet I got telling me the date and time of the next visit says it's only 10 minutes so there wouldn't be time to do a really deep clean.

I guess I just can't believe that I could be this lucky and get away this lightly after so long. You can be sure though that after this I'm going back for checkups at least once a year!

Thanks very much and sorry for asking silly questions!

Faye

If your dentist had a look at the small xrays (bitewings) it is unlikely he would find any new holes on the OPG panoramic film. The bigger film is usually used to check the position and roots of the teeth rather than to try to see holes in the front teeth. The OPG is also used for assessing the supporting bone around the teeth. Sounds like it was a routine film to look at this supporting bone (as you did mention that there were minor gum problems). I think it is likely that this was the reason rather than a search for anything else like holes, especially if the dentist has not mentioned any concerns.
Hope this helps and makes you feel a bit better. Well Done!!
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks very much Mike, I'll let you know how it goes. Hubby has just had to go back in to the dentist this morning to have his big x-ray done as the first one didn't come out lol.

Faye

Back