• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Xray pic- are my wisdom teeth impacted?

M

Missymajor

I realize some of you guys aren’t professionals but even opinions will do. I have messed up wisdom teeth that are crumbling and keep getting infected. I’m getting them all removed in less than a week. Can someone tell me if they are impacted?

Attachments

Last edited:
kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello,
I am not a dentist and hopefully one can confirm but based on my experience as a patient who had 4 impacted wisdom teeth, I would say no. If they were impacted, they wouldn’t be able to fully erupt or may not even erupt at all. They are sorta trapped in the jaw bone because they have no room to move. I found an example of what impacted wisdom teeth look like online for comparison. You can see one tooth is completely on it’s side under the gums.

Attachments

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,
Your wisdom teeth are technically not impacted but since they have already deep cavities (this might break during extraction) and maybe partially covered by gum, the dentist might use dental procedures (and treatment codes for the insurance) which are also used with impacted teeth.

M

Missymajor

Thanks guys that’s just the information I was looking for