• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Xylitol (mints)?

M

Menopausal Magpie

Hello dentists. I have a question:

What do you all think of xylitol as an aid to oral health? Specifically, I'm a fan of the Peppersmith mints (available in Holland & Barrett and some supermarkets). I've seen various things online about whether or not xylitol mints, gum or whatever are good for your teeth and gums, but I'd be interested to know if anyone here has a professional opinion on this. Thanks! :)

Well it's better than eating normal mints :) There's some not very compelling evidence that oral bacteria are a bit inhibited by the presence of xylitol, but whether that is clinically significant or not is open to question. If you like the taste and enjoy them then fine, I doubt if they make a big difference to your oral health.

Be aware Xylitol is incredibly toxic to dogs, so be very careful if you've got dogs around.

Back