• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Xylitol

C

CanadaGirl

Has anyone heard about or tried xylitol as a method for preventing future decay? I'm trying to improve my oral hygiene and have heard that it is great for stopping cavities, but have yet to talk to someone who has used it. I also can't find a place to buy it around here, but I might look into ordering off the internet if it seems promising.

BTW, I'm not hoping for a magic bullet or anything, I'm also brushing twice a day, flossing every night, using flouride mouthwash, less snacking, totally gave up Diet Coke (lord, I miss it so), and trying to eat better. I'm just looking for anything helpful.

Thanks!

Studies suggest that xylitol is a useful adjunct for preventing tooth decay. It's used in some chewing gum, sugar-free boiled sweets and mints. Not sure what's available in Canada - have a look around the chewing gum/sweets section :). It appears to be slightly more effective than sugar-free sweets or chewing gum (which are also effective in reducing tooth decay, because they stimulate saliva production).

My dentist told me to try Orbitz gum for this reason yesterday. So, it must be a good idea!

I switched to Trident for this reason. Only some types have it, though.

It's hard to know whether it's helping, but it can't be hurting.

I have heard that large quantities of the stuff can give you digestive troubles.

Back