• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Yellow teeth from thinning enamel?

A

ab_765

Hi,

Is it possible to have clean but somewhat yellowy teeth from thinning enamel? I am 30 years old.

I have always done my best to brush twice a day and go to the dentist every 6 months. Being an anxious patient, I never usually ask any questions at my appointments and have only ever been told to make sure I brush and floss my teeth but as I recently found out there is so much more to dental health than that! Diet, eating habits, frequency of snacking, brushing techniques, mouthwash, rinses and cleans. I have improved my dental hygiene by cutting out sugary foods/drinks, religiously flossing every evening before brushing, mouthwash after meals when I can, brushing with an electric toothbrush to help with timing/pressure and bought some gum with xylitol.

It has recently occurred to me that even after a dental clean that some of my teeth remain more yellow than white? Some appear a darker shade of yellow on close inspection. The 2 dentists I've had have never mentioned anything about the colour of my teeth as a concern? I understand a slight yellowing is considered normal and to brighten them is considered a cosmetic issue but is there a point where too much yellow would be concern?

With all the fillings in my molars and the yellowing of my teeth I have a constant anxiety of them all falling out before I'm 50. It's been quite hard the last couple of months.

Many thanks,
AB_765

D

drm

Verified dentist
Some people naturally have more yellow teeth. You may be one of those people.

Thinning enamel can also cause teeth to take on a yellow appearance as the underlying layer of the tooth (dentin) is a yellow color. I'd be a bit surprised if you had that much enamel thinning at your age unless you have a highly acidic diet (sucking on lemons, etc).