• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Zirconia crown hindrance

T

toothpaste

Hello,

My dentist has installed a zirconia crown (molar). The result is nice and appears just like one of my natural teeth. Problem is I have an obstacle when I chew. The dentist said zirconia cannot be milled, and my tooth underneath is too weak to be milled (tooth enamel very thick). Is there a way to mill the crown (very slighlty and gently) without fracture it, so I can close my up and down jaw properly?

Last edited:
WOW
Your teeth should come together normally after a crown is placed. The dentist must adjust the crown accordingly.

Thank you for your reply.

He tried and milled my healthy tooth beneath! he stopped, but still problem remains. Is there a tool to mill gently the zirconia crown to adjust all? Is it recommended to mill a zirconia crown (to adjust)?

Grind down the top tooth that is hitting off this crown then.

Yes it is very easy. A diamond stone will readily reduced the size of your crown and afterwards diamond polishers will leave a nice smooth surface. In general it is much harder than regular porcelain.

I told him to do so. But he said grinding the zirconia crown could produce small fissure in it. Does it need the same diamond stone as for ceramic/porcelain? Thanks you.

yes diamonds are fine with water spray

Back