• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Zirconia crown with opposing zirconia crown

LenaD

LenaD

Just got 15 crowned with zirconia and beneath it is a zirconia crown as well. It feels high sometimes and weird. My dentist said to let it settle and what I’m feeling is the material. He wants me to wait a week but if I continue to feel weird theres no way I will wait. He adjusted it a lot as it came high. Does it take a little time to get used to it?

I feel the two crowned teeth bite down before any of the others and I can feel my tmj flaring up.

I can also feel either cement or the margin on one side. Never easy

I can just speak from past personal experience. It can take a little time for a newly crowned tooth to settle and feel normal. That being said, its also possible it may need to be adjusted again.

The last crown I had needed to be adjusted after the fact. My whole right side was numb the day the crown was put on so my bite was off. The best way to describe what I felt was being very aware of the tooth/crown after meals. Ended up waiting a week before going back for the adjustment but the crown has been good since then. I don't think waiting a week is unreasonable but if it is really bothering you it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

In my experience, I did not feel cement around mine..I’m pretty sure that they can file that off to smooth it down. I had a problem with my crown for a year or two and I do feel like it changed my bite over time. I complained about it several times but my dentist insisted it was fine even though it was causing me to grind my teeth at night and I swear my teeth have now shifted. It wasn’t until I had the tooth behind it filled and my bite was adjusted for that tooth, that it finally felt right. Since then, my symptoms are gone but my teeth do not feel like they have moved back to their original position which I am not happy about.

I’m going on today it needs a little more adjustment my neighboring teeth aren’t fully contacting.

sounds like the edges are bulky. This is common in zirconia crowns. In order to get proper emergence profiles zirconia crowns need to be hand finished which typically isn't done.

It feels bulky and longer then my other teeth. I’m mad because I said it didn’t seem right and they still cemented it in.

Also how many adjustments are normal? With my other crown it was just a slight adjustment with this one it seems like it’s way off.

Also how many adjustments are normal? With my other crown it was just a slight adjustment with this one it seems like it’s way off.
Generally speaking: most adjustments are doable but dentists prefer to do them as little as possible.
Adjustments in the occlusal side (where the chewing takes place) are easy to do. Adjustments of the other facets are possible but might be an esthetic problem (especially when dealing with the front teeth).

Thank you for the reply. I’m going back in today and I keep wondering if the crown was well made to have to keep adjusting it so much. With my other one it was one or two adjustments with this one it seems never ending. It’s weird I couldn’t even bite down in the beginning no contact anywhere.

FYI zirconia crowns are more difficult to mark with the biting paper/film so the dentist may not see marks where the crown is high. Since I'm so lazy I like to be sure as possible that everything is fine before the patient leaves so I don't have to see them again.

Is it normal to feel like the crown is wide?

Got back did some adjustments and shaved the bulky side. The bite feels way better but now I’m wondering if he took too much off.

I’m going to let it settle and let my anxiety relax.

Well my anxiety is in full gear. The edge that was sharp is part of the crown I guess the dr said he could sand it down but does recommend so he left it. I got home ate something and part of it came off at the margin nothing seems to be bad but I did reach out to let him know. Zirconia shouldn’t just chip off correct?

I thought it was excess cement but the de said it was just part of the crown sometimes when milling there can be a “little step”. There’s only one part of the crown that it’s there.

I’ve been having issues with this newly placed crown. It was too high and the dentist shaved a little but now I’m wondering if it’s too much. I said that afterwords but they said it’s not they did say there’s a bit more contact on the neighboring tooth. I’m going in because a part of the lip or step of it came off at the margin. There was a irregular edge. Let’s say the margin is fine is it ok that it’s contacting to a little lesser degree?

I don't have answers for you, but I hope they can get it figured out and comfortable for you. I am getting a permanent crown put on (hopefully) soon, if my tooth settles with the temporary. I am also afraid of the fit of the permanent crown. The only other crown experience I have was for a broken tooth and it was very poorly done. It was way too high, and they couldn't shave enough off without compromising the crown, so they ended up grinding down the opposing molar. I had no idea that was going to happen and I was in tears. I know now that it should have been redone.

I would say keep at them until they get it where you are comfortable, if it still doesn't feel right, and make sure you speak up if you feel something isn't right.

Back