• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A Gallery of Smiles

• Thread starter Joanne Elizabeth
  • Start date
J

Joanne Elizabeth

Hi

Since joining this forum I have begun to research local dentists - something that I could not even contemplate before. I came across a practice which had a section called 'Gallery of Smiles'. I have to say I was amazed at the before and after photos.

There were people with worse teeth than mine and the difference was remarkable. Maybe the cost was high and I might not achieve the same results but any improvement would be good for me. I want to be able to talk, smile and eat without constant embarrassment and worry.

Yesterday a friend of mine took the plunge and went to the dentist for the first time in years. He had endured pain for weeks. He was very apprehensive. I spoke to him a couple of hours later and he said the dentist was brilliant. So, what am I and you waiting for? ..... If only it was so easy. Take care and thank you for your support.:grin:

Well speaking only for myself, what I am waiting for is.. I just don't care about having shiny perfect teeth at any price, even if it was free.My dentist has some before and after pics on his website. I think most cosmetic dentists do. The thing is though for some phobics like me all we want is to have teeth that do not cause pain and allow us to chew our food and speak clearly. I know for myself it's hard enough to sit through a cleaning and xrays never mind an unnecessary cosmetic procedure. My teeth are not perfectly straight or perfectly white or shiny beautiful and never will be. But that's ok because I just want them to be healthy.

Well speaking only for myself, what I am waiting for is.. I just don't care about having shiny perfect teeth at any price, even if it was free.My dentist has some before and after pics on his website. I think most cosmetic dentists do. The thing is though for some phobics like me all we want is to have teeth that do not cause pain and allow us to chew our food and speak clearly. I know for myself it's hard enough to sit through a cleaning and xrays never mind an unnecessary cosmetic procedure. My teeth are not perfectly straight or perfectly white or shiny beautiful and never will be. But that's ok because I just want them to be healthy.

Yes I absolutely agree with you. That's all I want, too. I couldn't afford most of what this practice offers but they do more basic procedures as well. They seem to cover the whole range. The photos were of real people with ordinary smiles and that's given me hope.

:rolleyes:

My dentist has photos of what he calls "full mouth makeovers" and the before and afters are amazing but I don't want any. there are pictures of people with broken jagged teeth, missing teeth, black rotted decayed teeth, bloody looking swollen infected gums. and then their amazing after photos with their 1200 dollar porcelain crowns and 3000 dollar implants. It looks nice but just isn't something I could ever sit through. I'm struggling with the thought of replacing just a single tooth that I lost because of a quack dentist who fractured my root.

My dentist has photos of what he calls "full mouth makeovers" and the before and afters are amazing but I don't want any. there are pictures of people with broken jagged teeth, missing teeth, black rotted decayed teeth, bloody looking swollen infected gums. and then their amazing after photos with their 1200 dollar porcelain crowns and 3000 dollar implants. It looks nice but just isn't something I could ever sit through. I'm struggling with the thought of replacing just a single tooth that I lost because of a quack dentist who fractured my root.

In the UK I believe full cosmetic dentistry is not so popular. I only know one wealthy person who has had it done and I am not interested either. I wish you well on your journey. Take care.

thank you good luck to you too

When looking at before and after photos Always consider what you aren't seeing.