• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advice on what next - root canal question.

How are you doing now? Better I hope!

Hi, thanks. A little better maybe.

I had the re-treatment looked at on Monday but as it was still hurting she just opened it up and put some more stuff in and left it with another temporary until Jan. It's still been hurting but has been getting a tiny bit better each day if I really think about it. (Except Wednesday when it really flared up but I'd been out drinking and talking a lot which could explain that. It's almost encouraging if talking lots makes it worse because it probably means it's a strain/bruise that I'm aggravating more than anything else and it should heal with time). Hopefully it will continue to do so until it's completely okay. I'm just wary still as it's got better before and then relapsed but I'm hoping that was because it still had a canal in it that's been removed now.

The other one was finished on Tuesday and was suspiciously almost pain free after the anaesthetic wore off which I was pleased about until a few drops of blood came out of my nose - I never get nose bleeds. I called and asked about it and he said that while rare, it can happen and that because I have very long roots that are right up in the sinus it's probably some irritation from that. I have read horror stories about sinuses and root canals but there wasn't any pain with the blood and it's been okay since. I've had a little soreness or weirdness from it over the last couple of days but nothing outside what I'm told is normal or could easily be psychological to some extent.

My worry now is just the retreated tooth. If it doesn't settle down I was just going to get it pulled but with the roots being effectively in the sinus that could cause other complications. I guess I'll just hope it settles for now.

How are yours doing?

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in on the sinus issue. My upper left molar had roots into the sinus that were really long. After the root canal and retreat, it gave me a really bad sinus infection. I also had an apicoectomy on that tooth, which punctured into my sinus (that felt really weird as the sinus drained immediately), but it all healed up well, with no complications. When I ended up having the tooth extracted, the roots into the sinus did not cause any issues. I had asked the oral surgeon, as I was told by the endodontist that it could be tricky. He said it wouldn't be a problem and that he puts a membrane over the hole into the sinus so that it isn't open and heals quickly. I had no issues at all.

Ah, okay thanks. That at least makes me feel a little easier about that option if it comes to it. Was the extraction fairly simple? Did putting the membrane things in take time or did he just shove something in there? After my wisdom tooth extraction and the nightmare that was afterwards I'm a bit reluctant about them but I know 'normal' teeth are supposed to be easier. I've never had any others pulled so am comparing everything to a partially impacted wisdom tooth.

Ah, okay thanks. That at least makes me feel a little easier about that option if it comes to it. Was the extraction fairly simple? Did putting the membrane things in take time or did he just shove something in there? After my wisdom tooth extraction and the nightmare that was afterwards I'm a bit reluctant about them but I know 'normal' teeth are supposed to be easier. I've never had any others pulled so am comparing everything to a partially impacted wisdom tooth.

I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, and had dry socket. That was when I was 18, but it was rough. The molar extraction was nothing compared to that. The whole procedure took about a half hour. I didn't even know when he put in the membrane, so I couldn't tell you how it was done, but it was quick. I had stitches as well, so that took part of the time. It was so much easier than the wisdom tooth and a much quicker recovery.

Back