• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

ahh!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter smyi2
  • Start date Start date
S

smyi2

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
26
I am a dental phobic. I'm 24 years old and only been to the dentist twice in my life. I need to go badly but can't work up the guts to go. Is there anything I can do to get the dentist to sedate me? :-[
 
smyi2 said:
I am a dental phobic. I'm 24 years old and only been to the dentist twice in my life. I need to go badly but can't work up the guts to go. Is there anything I can do to get the dentist to sedate me?  :-[
firstly I would say, welcome to this site You will find it will give you tremendous strength and support all the way. A lot of us have been just where you are at the moment, but by finding the right dentist and writing our stories and getting support from others, we have found the strength to make our appointments and get through whatever treatment we need.
You've made the first important start by being open about your fears. You do not say whether you have actually got a dentist yet. There are so many now that specialise with dental phobics like us and finding the right one for you will make it all that easier. If you cannot yet summons up the courage to ring one, why not email a few and tell them a bit about yourself, your fears etc. If any of those are amongst the ones that could be right for you, they will come back to you and you can then take it further from there by hopefully being able to ring for an initial consultation. You will be in total control at all times. For that first appt you need not have anything done at all, just a look so the dentist knows what you need to have done - probably far less than you are worrying about. You might have x rays at that time but then its up to you to make the appointments to have whatever YOU want done WHEN you want it.
Read some of the Journals and success stories on this site. They will give you tremendous support and encouragement So many of us have been in the position of thinking we can't do it, then get to the point of saying I've got one, I've got a dentist, and finally saying "If I can do it, anyone can". That is more true in my case than a lot of people because my fear was so great that I left it for 40 years without seeing a dentist. You too can do it and you've made the right start. Best of luck and looking forward to reading how you get on with your dental journey which I'm sure in your case is going to be just a short trip. [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 

Similar threads

Back
Top