• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anesthesia and electric shock feeling. Hurt so badly

A

Alexistired

I’ve had anesthesia done for a dental procedure probably at least 30 times or more in the most recent years . But today I really got a bad reaction from it . First injection was fine . The second time I felt an electric shock feeling traveling all through my face , I felt as if my face was ON FIRE . I could feel the liquid traveling through my face and i even felt it IN MY NOSE and I had trouble breathing for a second . I was so scared . I’ve never been more scared .

The dentist said it’s normal sometimes it can happen and she gave me an Ice pack which immediately had a good effect.What happened ?I need to get other teeth done and I’m already in fear . Why did I never experience this before and what changed ? I’m scared . Help

Hi,
It sounds like the needle touched the nerve directly and then the nerve is strongly activated and it feels like a sudden electric shock.
it happens very rarely but it happens. I think it happens to me once in a couple of thousands injection in the lower jaw.
it is unpleasant and unfortunate but nothing more than that. Theoretically it is possible to damage the nerve (results in constant numbing for half the tongue or half the lip and chin) but in reality it does not happen.

Hi,
It sounds like the needle touched the nerve directly and then the nerve is strongly activated and it feels like a sudden electric shock.
it happens very rarely but it happens. I think it happens to me once in a couple of thousands injection in the lower jaw.
it is unpleasant and unfortunate but nothing more than that. Theoretically it is possible to damage the nerve (results in constant numbing for half the tongue or half the lip and chin) but in reality it does not happen.
At the moment the numbing is gone , I’m not in pain and I can eat and do whatever . I’m just afraid it’s gonna happen again .... I have other teeth to get fixed
Next teeth I have to get filled is not on the lower jaw but up ))

Going too close to the nerve is only really a potential problem with lower block injections because of the anatomy in that area, so you're all good ?

Going too close to the nerve is only really a potential problem with lower block injections because of the anatomy in that area, so you're all good ?
Omg really ? WELL thanks ! Does this mean I can rest assured with my next filling I won’t get any issue ?! It’s a tooth on the upper half of the mouth
I don’t know if I’m gonna be needing another filling on my lower part of the mouth but not for now ?

Thanks , I felt stupid because I cried from the pain . I don’t want to seem like a cry baby but it was incredibly painful

Thanks , I felt stupid because I cried from the pain . I don’t want to seem like a cry baby but it was incredibly painful

Please don‘t feel stupid because of crying. We are humans and that‘s what we do, we cry sometimes. From pain, from stress, from sadness, from joy.. all kinds of things.
What happened to you sounds so scary! Glad your next filling is on upper teeth.

@Dr. Daniel , if that happens, what do you do - stop or go ahead and with the anesthetic the sensation disappears?

@Dr. Daniel , if that happens, what do you do - stop or go ahead and with the anesthetic the sensation disappears?
If I recognize that the needle is touching the nerve I ask to verify that the patient is feeling an intense electric shock spreading on the side, this way I give the patient a feeling that I know this situation. I certainly give an explanation about what it was and how unpleasant it is but that there is no danger.
I prefer not to stop and continue with the anesthesia, conditioned if the patient is listening and my explanation is calming him down. I think it is important to have a positive injection and by ending it abruptly it will not be a positive one. I think it is actually an opportunity to overcome together with the patient a difficulty in a successful way.
i Would stop only if the patient needs to stop the procedure in order to calm down.

If I recognize that the needle is touching the nerve I ask to verify that the patient is feeling an intense electric shock spreading on the side, this way I give the patient a feeling that I know this situation. I certainly give an explanation about what it was and how unpleasant it is but that there is no danger.
I prefer not to stop and continue with the anesthesia, conditioned if the patient is listening and my explanation is calming him down. I think it is important to have a positive injection and by ending it abruptly it will not be a positive one. I think it is actually an opportunity to overcome together with the patient a difficulty in a successful way.
i Would stop only if the patient needs to stop the procedure in order to calm down.
My dentist just said it was a normal occurrence and gave me ice bc I was complaining of the pain , the ice helped
I still have some other teeth to fill and I’m so tired . Any suggestions on how to avoid fillings from getting infiltrated and preventing cavities ? All of my molars and my two front teeth are filled . I brush my teeth twice or even three times a day and I always floss

By far the biggest factor for developing cavities is diet. You can get lots of information here:

As Enarete said that there is absolutely no shame in feeling overwhelmed and crying as a result of the shock and the pain. Don't worry about it ?

Oh, I came across a good infographic the other day, it's probably too large to be readable on mobile though:

1608015515292 2.jpeg

Well, I made a short video that covers many factors for dental issues.
Self blaming, shame and guilt in light of dental problems

Back