• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can a General Dentist perform Oral Surgery ?

A

Arealperson

In the USA, Can a General Dentist perform Oral Surgery if he/she feel they can do it correctly ?

Or

Are there classifications of surgical procedures, conditions and/or other special requirements I.e Education, Licensing etc. that fall into the Oral Surgery category that a General Dentist may not perform ?

Thanks,
Areal

Yes. The hard part to understand is that surgery even oral surgery is a very broad field. I perform more surgery than the typical general dentist. Why? Because I did a hospital based residency and I like it. Thee is an OMS close by me. I refer all my wisdom teeth. I don't like doing that procedure and he does them all the time and he is better at that than me. I do all my implants and bone grafts relating to that. He the OMS has asked me for advice on implants. So it depends on the particular dentist.

Back