• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you have a root canal on a slightly loose tooth?!

L

lallyy13

I've neglected my teeth over the years but have since been going regulary. I have expressed concerns over this tooth ALOT as the gum is receeding. I was told that I do not have gum disease, so not to worry. Now the tooth is feeling loose and I can feel a bump right at the top of my gum near this tooth.. It doesn't really hurt unless I press with a nail.
The tooth is now slightly loose... Have I been fobbed off? Is it possible that my tooth needs a root canal? Can that be done on a slightly loose tooth?

PLEASE HELP!

Yes but only if the cause of the looseness is by a dental abcess of endodontic cause. That means if there is an infection coming from inside the root canal.

If there is little bone left to anchor the root then you have little hope of saving this tooth I'm afraid. An X-ray radiograph should show how much bone is left attached to the tooth.

Thankyou! The tooth in question doesn't have any cavities or fillings but is next to a tooth with a very large filling which also feels a little loose. Could that be why? Really (weirdly) hoping I need a root canal! I think I had X-rays done last summer so any bone loss would have been picked up then?! Also surely if the dentist says I don't have gum disease tben I dont...? @gentledental

My next question is are you a smoker and do you see a hygienist on a regular basis? If not then there is a big chance you may have a history of gum disease.
Your dentist saying you don't have gum disease doesn't mean you didn't have it previously and the damage may have already been done.

Back