• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

chances of needing rct after deep cavity feeling

V

Vanilla01

Hi! I just found this website today wondering where its been after years of anxiety.

So I got my first deep cavity filled today on my molar along with another normal one. I have an appointment to get another big one and 2 smaller ones done next month. The filling went well and everything despite the fact that I was involuntarily shaking the entire time from my anxiety. But at the very end the dentist said everything looks good and casually mentioned the possibility of needing a root canal in the future before walking away?? like no further explanation. I'm so scared of that possibility, how likely is it that I will need rct? I has slight sensitivity to cold before getting the cavity filled. It's still numb at the moment but I'm scared of what it's going to feel like once the numbing wears off. So basically I have two question:
1. How likely is it to need rct after a deep filling
2. Is there anything i can do to prevent it? I'm currently taking vitamin d (d3k2) supplements (it made one of my dad's cavities disappear completely) but will that do anything to help protect the nerve/tooth heal?

Any help would be great because I've been unable to stop thinking about the possibility of needing to get further dental work done- especially since I have another large cavity that needs to be filled :((

Hi! I completely understand what you are experiencing. About 3 weeks ago, my dentist did a deep filling on my upper tooth as the one in there had decay around it. It was close to my nerve.. she put a temp filling in and said we would wait and see. Fast forward 2 weeks and that tooth started to feel like pressure inside of it. Slightly uncomfortable but easily managed. After a week, I went back and she tested the tooth, tapping, hot cold sensitivity. I felt nothing with the cold test. Nerve had died. Today I had a root canal on that tooth. Cleaned everything out and placed medication in it. I have no pain, at this point (knock on wood).

I was so scared and nervous, but it didnt hurt at all and I actually was able to close my eyes while this was being done.

Not a dentist, but she told me if I had pain to call. If you have pain, I would call your dentist.. at the very least, they can reassure you. And yes, mentioning a root canal and then walking away is not very considerate...

I hope everything goes well and you have no pain after the numbing wears off

Hi! I completely understand what you are experiencing. About 3 weeks ago, my dentist did a deep filling on my upper tooth as the one in there had decay around it. It was close to my nerve.. she put a temp filling in and said we would wait and see. Fast forward 2 weeks and that tooth started to feel like pressure inside of it. Slightly uncomfortable but easily managed. After a week, I went back and she tested the tooth, tapping, hot cold sensitivity. I felt nothing with the cold test. Nerve had died. Today I had a root canal on that tooth. Cleaned everything out and placed medication in it. I have no pain, at this point (knock on wood).

I was so scared and nervous, but it didnt hurt at all and I actually was able to close my eyes while this was being done.

Not a dentist, but she told me if I had pain to call. If you have pain, I would call your dentist.. at the very least, they can reassure you. And yes, mentioning a root canal and then walking away is not very considerate...

I hope everything goes well and you have no pain after the numbing wears off

thank you! so far i dont notice anything hopefully it'll stay that way. my dentist didn't mention anything about the nerve she just said it was deeper than they expected?? I got myself all worked up after reading a bunch of medical websites but im hoping that since my dentist was super vague about it, its nothing to worry about.

1. How likely is it to need rct after a deep filling
2. Is there anything i can do to prevent it? I'm currently taking vitamin d (d3k2) supplements (it made one of my dad's cavities disappear completely) but will that do anything to help protect the nerve/tooth heal?

1: Not very. Otherwise we wouldn't waste time doing deep fillings :) It depends on lots of factors but as a general rule they're normally fine.

2: Nope. There's nothing you can do. Vitamin D supplements are a good idea in general thanks to CV19, but they have no effect on decay or on whether or not the tooth will need an RCT.

1: Not very. Otherwise we wouldn't waste time doing deep fillings :) It depends on lots of factors but as a general rule they're normally fine.

2: Nope. There's nothing you can do. Vitamin D supplements are a good idea in general thanks to CV19, but they have no effect on decay or on whether or not the tooth will need an RCT.
thank you so much that makes me feel a lot better!

Back