• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chlorhexidine Mouthwash

D

Drkshadows

I had my extractions today all 9. The Valium I took before was a life saver. Now I am in a total panic I never thought about it. I made sure to discuss the antibiotic. But this chlorhexidine mouthwash has me freaked out. The teeth staining and other horrible effects. I'm suppose to use it 3 times a day.

Is it really necessary if i keep it clean and do the salt water rinses.
[h=2][/h]

I've used that mouthwash several times, once when my gums were all sore and infected, for a couple of weeks, and again after extractions. Never had a problem. The tooth staining is temporary, if it even happens, which it didn't for me. If it burns while using it, dilute it with some water. The only real risk is an allergic reaction, but that's no more likely to happen than an allergic reaction to literally any product.

Thank you that's reassuring.

I've had one patient in the last three years develop staining from chlorhexidine (and we prescribe it quite a bit). Like Sevena said, it is only temporary, superficial staining if it does occur. It can just be polished off.

I've been using it religiously for about a month now and had no real issues, just took some getting used to the taste but it was 100% worth it for the outcome. I have lotsss of chemical intolerance's and haven't reacted well to stuff like mouthwash and toothpaste in the paste so I was a little apprehensive at first but it was all good. :)

My sister had a little bit of teeth staining from using it before but it really wasn't that obvious and her regular scale and polish sorted it right out. I think it's pretty rare and even if it does happen it's nothing permanent.

She still said that the benefit outweighed the staining. :) And the staining may not even happen.

Good luck!

Back