• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Diazepam (Valium) before crown replacement

N

NellR

I have a severe anxiety disorder. I have taken Valium off and on (mostly on) for over 30 years. I currently take 10 mgs three times per day, and have for at least 5 years. I am scared to death of an upcoming dental appointment (crown replacement) and have read about people taking Valium before appointments to help them calm down. For me, 10 mgs feels like nothing at all. My psychiatrist said i could take 30 mgs at one time before my appointment but recommended checking with my dentist. I have tried to reach her and she hasn’t gotten back to me. Do any dentists have an opinion on this? (or has anyone been in a similar situation?). My dentist will be using lidocaine without epinephrine as anaesthesia, if that is matters. Please help — I’m afraid I’ll end up cancelling this appointment, as I ended up in tears at the last one :(

Hi NellR,

If it’s on the advice of your psychiatrist it should be fine but you’re right, I think it’s sensible to ensure your dentist is aware of these plans and are comfortable with it. Obviously it’s crucial that you follow any precautions recommended when taking the medication in relation to driving, activities, other meds etc.

Thank you for your advice. My dentist knows about all my medications, of course. Just not the one time large dose of Valium. I will not be driving or having to do anything, really, on the day of the appointment. I really hope that taking enough Valium will actually calm me down ... it seems like it works for some and not for others. Please let me know, anyone else out there who has taken Valium or another benzodiazipine, if it helped ... thank you.

Back