• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do loved ones joke about your dental journey?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hopeful1
  • Start date Start date
H

Hopeful1

Junior member
Joined
Jul 27, 2026
Messages
17
Location
England
I, personally, have a brilliant sense of humour. I can joke about myself, this, that and everything. However, when I've had the courage to discuss my dental treatments with some loved ones, some of them can... respond differently, to others.
Now don't get me wrong, I can expect it from my peers who don't have dental fears; it is a normal response to an abnormal situation. In my experience when some people have made 'out of turn' jokes, I've been able to shut it down by saying I'm not comfortable yet and they've apologised and accepted that.
I've been thinking about how, being open about something doesn't necessarily mean you're necessarily ready to joke about it.

I just thought it was worth sharing as a reminder that we can be open about our experiences while still needing a little sensitivity around them. Has anyone else had a good or bad experience? Either way, I think it's good to share/support each other in this regard 😊 ❤️

TL-DR: If you've shared your journey with someone close, how did it go? <3
 
Back
Top