• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does Oral Sdeation Really Work?

D

drummerswife

The dentist I have found seems to be understanding. She has given me a script for Valium for my next visit with her. Her goal for this visit is just to try to get some good x-rays which is really difficult for me. She told to take 1 10 mg Valium the night before and another 10 mg an hour before I go to her office. I have an additional 2 more 10 mg pills to bring with me.
I am worried that this may not be enough or that it won't work. I have never in my life taken oral seadtives so I am not sure what to expect.
Sorry this is a bit rambling. My question is the one above: Does Oral Sedation Really Work?
Thanks
DRummers Wife

That's a lot more than I've ever taken, and it worked wonders for me! I had 5mg on the night before and 10mg one hour before my wisdom tooth surgical extraction. I was very calm and relaxed, not nervous at all, but definitely aware of everything happening. I remember everything and I'm glad I do, it was such a good experience!

If you want a more detailed description, you could try to find my first success story. It was written in May 2008. There I have described very precisely how I felt.

10mg is a common dose for Valium. Valium was used as a muscle relaxant with tranquilizing effects. It can take the edge off anxiety. You might feel a bit sleepy and have some motor impairment.

it take between 1 and 2 hours to "kick in." It has a long half-life (100 hours). This means 50% of the dose is in your bloodstream for about 100 hours.

Maximum dose per day is 40mg per day.

It will allow your muscles to relax and is a common pre-anesthetic used for many medical and surgical procedures.

It does work and is well tolerated by most people. It is a common choice for dental procedures.

Hope this helps.

Hi drummerswife, are there any specific things about having x-rays which you are concerned about?

In answer to your question: Yes, the paper things they put in your mouth make me gag and I feel like I'm choking and then I get nauseous.

Could you maybe ask her if you could borrow one of them to practice with at home? It's often easier to get used to them in a familiar environment :)

There are also lots of tips to help with gagging on this page:

A very popular one seems to be the Vicks Chloraseptic numbing spray.

Last edited:
Great idea! Thanks for that!

Back