• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme Fear of the dentist. Don't know what do to

E

Extreme Fear

Hello everyone. As the title shows, I have an extreme fear of the dentist. It looks like the fear has fnally caught up to me. I have a bottom back tooth that is half missing, and the past couple of days its been bleeding and has a horrible taste coming from it that I litterally cant stand. The pain isnt too bad but the taste is unbearable.

I also have several cavities in other teeth. I could bear going to the dentist if I could be put to sleep during the ordeal, but I dont have the money to pay for it. I'm on disability and I'm pretty sure disability benefits will not pay for the sedation.

I also dont have the money to pay for any teeth replacements at the time. The best option seems to be just ending it all. How can one overcome fear of the dentist.

Why do I have the fear? I had an extremely bad encounter with a dentist as a kid, which caused alot of pain bleeding, and a dentist with no patientence or compassion for me, even as a small child. The experience has never left me. I hope someone can give me some answers, it could be life saving. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi EF and :welcome: to the forum,

I'm sorry you're having such a horrendous time :shame:. Which country are you in? And would it be ok if I moved your post to the support section?

Yes it's fine if you move it. I'm new here and wasn't sure which section to post this at. I'm in the USA.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions that any may have. It feels good to find people who may understand what I am going through. I don't even know why I came here really. I feel like I already have the answer to my solution. Now it only comes down to implementation.

Anyway thanks so much for welcoming me to the forum!

Thanks have moved the thread :) - hopefully some posters from the USA can chip in with their ideas!!

I sincerely hope that you won't settle for the ending it all option (even though it may seem tempting right now :(). There are some ideas for financing dental treatment on this page:

Do you have any relatives or friends who may be able to assist you financially?

Modern dentistry should not be painful. I'm so sorry you've had such horrible experiences with dentists in the past :shame:. Of course, there may be some pain after treatment for example after removing a tooth, but this can be controlled with painkillers.

I hope some of the posters from the US will jump in here to help :grouphug:

Back