• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling material stuck between teeth

B

brooke

Does anyone know how to get filling material that is stuck between the spaces of the teeth out?This happened one other time and I managed to use a metal dental tool,but this tooth is the last tooth in the upper section of my mouth and I can't really see to do anything.
I tried to use pressure on the dental floss but was afraid the floss might break or get stuck in between the teeth.Damn I hate when this happens.Well at least it's an easy question.

You can't safely do this yourself. Go and see the dentist who did the (presumably) new filling that has caused loose debris to get in your mouth.

Could you tell me how they would get it out? If it's using that thing that's like a jackhammer busting cement,the tooth may have to stay as is.That was a horrid experience,and I've pretty much decided that I won't put myself through that again.
They removed four old fillings,and I never thought it would end.It didn't hurt(just a twinge) but the vibrations were scary.
What would happen other than not being able to floss that tooth,if it was left as is?

I had something like that long ago and the dentist fixed it with a little strip of sandpaper-like ribbon. It slipped between the teeth like a wide piece of floss and he "sawed" it back and forth right through the offending material.

It wasn't noisy, painful, or scary, the only annoying part was the dusty "sawdust" stuff that came off as it smoothed things into shape. Just sounded like sandpaper in my head.

Dunno if that's what they still use or not, but it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks Spektyr,and thanks Gordon for your earlier reply.The sandpaper sounds fairly safe and non scary.Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder why I even felt anything during my last visit.I had one drilled out and filled a couple of weeks ago and didn't feel a thing,and I'm sure they must have used the same type of equipment.Strange,but I could actually feel some of the teeth that they were working on as they were drilling.Not really pain,but I could feel what they were doing with each tooth.Maybe I wasn't numb enough this time.

If it's a fresh piece of amalgam, it should pop off with just a poke with a probe, otherwise the sandpaper stuff would fix it. We call it finishing strip by the way, which sounds a bit better :)

Thanks Gordon.Turns out I have more than one tooth sealed shut by something.I only noticed the one the first night due to being numb while flossing.Now I think it's at least two and possibly three teeth.Probably will try to get back in to see the dentist sometime next week.

Back