• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Forgotten my splint - do you know any pharmacy product I could use?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I‘m on vacation (UK) and have forgotten my splint. Does anyone have an advice about any pharmacy / drugstore piece of plastic I could use for the few days without damaging my jaw? Not sure I can fall asleep without something to bite on and also having a strong relationship to my cracked tooth which I wouldn‘t like to crack further... Any ideas appreciated.

Can you get to a big Boots? In the one here they sell night guards in the bit by interdental brushes, kits to repair fillings etc - next to toothbrushes. If you can’t get to a large branch, you could do click and collect to a small one for tomorrow.

I have never tried this, and it is quite expensive, but in your shoes I would probably give it a go because I would be scared to sleep without mine!

Thank you, I will take a look at that. Some reviews say it doesn‘t hold but maybe I can figure out what to take care of to make it fit. And yeah, you got it, being scared to sleep without the guard (ok, if I don‘t find one I probably will find a way to sleep somehow but hope to avoid it). I even considered contacting dental practices in that area but I don‘t think anyone can make a splint for me in one day and I think even if they did, I think it would be at least 150 pounds or more which I am not very keen to pay (yet).

I think there might be others, I just remember seeing that one in the shop when I was buying tepe brushes. You would probably get one on Amazon for tomorrow if you have Prime?

@Judythecat. Thank you so much for your support and your ideas. I was in few drug stores and haven't found any mouth guard but it turned out that my days were busy enough not to worry much about this. So indeed I did sleep and survived and tomorrow me and my splint will be united again :grin:

Oh and I also got into a dental practice near my hotel and explained them what happened, asking whether they would be anyhow able to fit me a mouth guard in one day. They said impressions at that day no problem, but they needed 4-5 days to fit one. I have never experienced a waiting room with such a strong dental smell before by the way..

@Judythecat. Thank you so much for your support and your ideas. I was in few drug stores and haven't found any mouth guard but it turned out that my days were busy enough not to worry much about this. So indeed I did sleep and survived and tomorrow me and my splint will be united again :grin:

Oh and I also got into a dental practice near my hotel and explained them what happened, asking whether they would be anyhow able to fit me a mouth guard in one day. They said impressions at that day no problem, but they needed 4-5 days to fit one. I have never experienced a waiting room with such a strong dental smell before by the way..

Really glad you have managed to sleep without it! Funnily enough, on Wednesday when you posted, I was actually picking up my new night guard from the dentist, and I am back to building up to it in 20 minute slots. I am still sleeping in my old one for now. Getting a new one for the short-term might have been tricky to manage.

Back