• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got left upper molar removed almost 4 days ago

S

Sarahsolemn

I am a smoker and have been scared of getting dry socket. I have been as careful as I can be during this healing process, it looks like the extraction site has the white scar tissue scab over it but i was wondering if I am at almost 4 days with the pain subsiding everyday, am I out of the woods of dry socket? In 12 hours it will be 72 hours since.

I think that white part is just the healing process. I'd wait the full week before resuming smoking as you're not supposed to be smoking/sucking on a straw/sneezing/spitting excessively, etc. after an extraction, I've read.

I am a smoker and have been scared of getting dry socket. I have been as careful as I can be during this healing process, it looks like the extraction site has the white scar tissue scab over it but i was wondering if I am at almost 4 days with the pain subsiding everyday, am I out of the woods of dry socket? In 12 hours it will be 72 hours since.

In the US they say no smoking or using straws for a full week. I think in the UK they advise you to wait 4 days.

Either way, the risk although small is still present til it has been a full week, but in all honesty most smokers are not able to wait that long, and most smoke anyway, and most do not get dry socket.

I used a nicotine patch for 3 days and then could not stand it anymore and used my ecig. I did not get dry socket. On day 6 I was a rebel and drank my milkshake with a straw and still didn't get dry socket.
It is up to you. the risk is there but it is a small risk. and if you do get dry socket it still heals.

If you chose to smoke do not suck hard, do it carefully. don't just hoover it up like a vacuum lol and you should be fine.

Back