• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP HAVENT BEEN TO THE DENTIST IN AWHILE AND NOT BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY TEETH

R

Rundelk20

I am just really embarrassed because I haven't been to the dentist in 4 years and I am only in my early 20s and am really embarrassed because I haven't been taking real good care of them because I always been busy doing things and had no time at all to think about myself and making a regular brushing schedule and now two of my teeth are partially black and now I am embarrassed and crying.

Hi Rundelk20 :welcome:,

embarrassment is a super common problem which prevents people from going back to the dentist. Have you had a look at the success stories section here on the forum? You'll find that many people have been in a similar position (but instead of 4 years, it might have been 10 or 20 or 30 years, or even longer). What most of their accounts have in common is that instead of being shamed or told off, their dentists were happy to welcome them and help them get back on track.

The key is finding a kind and caring dentist, and letting them know about your concerns, preferably in advance. We've got a page here which gives tips for finding such a dentist:

And a page on the issue of embarrassment, in case you haven't already seen it:

You may also like this video:

Please don't beat yourself up over it :grouphug:

Hi Rundelk20,

Sorry to read about the distress you are experiencing. Very often patients come to my clinic because of discolouration which turn out to be not a real problem (meaning not cavities) and can easily be polished. There is a chance that might be your case as well.
Please have a look on a video I made about fear of feeling embarrassed during a dental appointment. Hope it helps.

I am just really embarrassed because I haven't been to the dentist in 4 years and I am only in my early 20s and am really embarrassed because I haven't been taking real good care of them because I always been busy doing things and had no time at all to think about myself and making a regular brushing schedule and now two of my teeth are partially black and now I am embarrassed and crying.
Hi ,,, just keep thinking you can do this ...I didn't go to the dentist for 30 years? until December 9th ..and i bet you my teeth are far far worse than yours , I assure you ... A week later I had a wisdom tooth out , which I never felt a thing.. the dentists know there stuff ...I was so embarrassed and my anxiety was through the roof , tbh don't think I'll ever get over the anxiety but I need to get this done I keep telling myself

Keep telling yourself YOU CAN DO THIS ..your dentist is bound to of seen worse I assure you . Mine said to me there not as bad as you think ?.. and you should see mine ? sooner you go the better , just think of what you'll feel like after it's all done ?? that's what iam doing

I've more to be taken out next Wednesday ?, I've crowns and bridges oh and a root canal to be done ... But I know it needs done

Look after yourself and your health ..keep us updated ...you can do this ?

Back