• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

  • Thread starter Thread starter anonfemale
  • Start date Start date
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

Hi Scaredycat. I'm glad that the X Rays have low radiation. It scares me when I read about them, though. But then, it also scares me thinking that , if I don't get them done, my problems could get worse.



Would the dentist have noticed if my teeth had shifted when she looked in my mouth, and would she have told me if they had?. I think that some of my teeth don't look straight. They are yellow too and I get bad breath a lot. I feel ashamed even just writing that.She just said that there was a lot of plaque on them. Sometimes they feel sticky. It's horrible, I wish I hadn't let it get this bad. I am disappointed with myself. How are you doing, Scaredycat?.



The receptionist booked me an appointment for a cleaning at 4.30pm next week (I will change the appointment if I don't get the X Ray this week). I'm confused about that too, as the surgery closes soon after that, so that wouldn't be long enough to do a deep cleaning.



I have a lot to do this week. I am on a course on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I am going to a Christmas party on Thursday night. I'm hoping to get the X Ray done this week too. It is good keeping busy, as it helps to take my mind off things, but I still feel like just hiding away sometimes.
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

Hi Scaredycat. I'm glad that the X Rays have low radiation. It scares me when I read about them, though. But then, it also scares me thinking that , if I don't get them done, my problems could get worse.



Would the dentist have noticed if my teeth had shifted when she looked in my mouth, and would she have told me if they had?. I think that some of my teeth don't look straight. They are yellow too and I get bad breath a lot. I feel ashamed even just writing that.She just said that there was a lot of plaque on them. Sometimes they feel sticky. It's horrible, I wish I hadn't let it get this bad. I am disappointed with myself. How are you doing, Scaredycat?.



The receptionist booked me an appointment for a cleaning at 4.30pm next week (I will change the appointment if I don't get the X Ray this week). I'm confused about that too, as the surgery closes soon after that, so that wouldn't be long enough to do a deep cleaning.



I have a lot to do this week. I am on a course on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I am going to a Christmas party on Thursday night. I'm hoping to get the X Ray done this week too. It is good keeping busy, as it helps to take my mind off things, but I still feel like just hiding away sometimes.

unless your teeth are coming loose, no like I said you are the one who would notice if your teeth have shifted. if the dentist never saw you before and never saw an xray of your teeth before she would really have no way of knowing if your teeth have moved from where they used to be, just because they are crooked doesn't mean that have moved. were they always crooked? very few people have perfectly straight teeth other than when they first get their braces off. crooked teeth or yellow teeth does not mean they can't be healthy. yellow is some people's natural color unless they have them bleached. I never had braces so I have never had straight teeth, it doesn't mean they are going to fall out just because they aren't straight
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

I'm posting an update here. I went for my X Ray today!. I was so nervous when I got to the hospital. It was strange standing there as the X Ray machine went around my head. I kept wondering about what is going to turn up on the X Ray. It was put on to a disc that is in an envelope. I'm not going to look at it. I don't think I would understand it if I looked at it anyway. I just need to decide whether to see the dentist on Monday, or wait until after Christmas. I might ask her to look at the X Ray on Monday, but tell her that , as long as there is nothing urgent that needs doing, I would rather wait until after Christmas to get things done.
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

Is it normal to have pain in your mouth that keeps coming and going when you have gum disease?. I don't know if it is the gums that are hurting or the teeth. My teeth feel awful. They feel brittle to me, but like I said, they don't feel loose. I hope everything is treatable.






I'm thinking of keeping my appointment on Monday. I keep looking at the envelope that has my X Ray disc in it, but I'm not going to open it. I'm scared that I will lose my teeth or something else that is bad will come up on the X Ray. How do you prepare yourself for hearing the news, whatever it is?
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

I don't know that you can prepare yourself, but I do know that things do get sorted out and that the stress and worry you are feeling right now is the worst bit of dental treatment Once you know what it that you are dealing with things seem a bit better.

Good luck for Monday :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

Thanks Carole. I'm reposting this here. I also posted on the "Lions and Tigers and Dentists" thread.




I went to my appointment today, but I am still not happy. The dentist took the disk that had my X Ray on it and she went in to the room while I stayed in the waiting room. It didn't take long for the assistant to call me in to the room, so they had looked at my X Ray quickly. When I went in, the dentist told me that there is nothing wrong with my teeth or the rest of my mouth, it was just the gums. I was in shock and said "really?!", and I told them that I had been losing sleep over this. There was a problem with a back tooth, but she said they can't do anything about that yet. I think it was a wisdom tooth. They said they would give me a cleaning (just an ordinary clean, not a deep clean). I was confused then. I asked if I needed a deep clean by a hygienist. I assumed I would need one as I have gum disease, but she just said I could go to the hygienist if I wanted to. They gave me the cleaning and I went to the toilets after that. I was shocked when I looked in the mirror. I still had a lot of blood around my teeth, even though I had rinsed a couple of times. Also, I noticed a big gap between two of my front teeth!. I went back to the receptionist and asked if I could have another quick word with the dentist. I went back in and told her that I was in shock because there was a big hole. The dentist and her assistant told me that that was where the plague had been. I am scared that my front teeth with fall out, but they said they wouldn't.





I am angry and concerned that the dentist didn't give me some kind of treatment plan. Also, it seemed like the dentist was annoyed that I was asking a lot of questions. She didn't get angry with me, but I could tell by her facial expressions, and at one point she said "as I told you half an hour ago " ( I had to wait until some other people had their appointments before I could go back in to speak to her ). I asked her what stage the gum disease was at and she said " 1 to 2 ". I'm not sure what that is. I asked her if it was at a late stage,and she said she had seen people who had it a lot worse. I should have asked her what caused the gum disease. She didn't even tell me what caused it. All she said was that I should make sure I am cleaning my teeth properly, and as long as there aren't any problems, I should see her in six months. That didn't sound right to me. I thought you had to go more regularly when you have gum problems.




Should I get a second opinion from another dentist?. My mouth still doesn't feel very clean either.




They kept my X Ray disc at reception. Are they supposed to keep it there?. I feel like getting it back or get another X Ray and go to another dentist.



They kept my X Ray disc at reception. Are they supposed to keep it there?. I feel like getting it back or get another X Ray and go to another dentist.
 
Re: I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday, but could an emergency dentist help instead?.

I have posted an answer to you on the Lions and tigers thread :butterfly:
 
Back
Top