• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm a huge needle phobic and very worried for my wisdom teeth removal, some questions.

U

UltimateFear

I'm a huge needle phobic and very worried for my wisdom teeth removal, some questions.

Hello everyone,
I am very scared of the extraction and answers to these questions would be very appreciated, thanks
I have 2 upper wisdom teeth that are erupted and 2 lower which are horizontal and completely impacted.

Q1) How hurtful will be the palatal shot and the buccal infiltration for the upper teeth?
I had removal of upper front teeth before and couldn't stand the injection and I heard this palatal is at least 3 times worse then that injection which made me very nervous.

Q2) I never had IANB or buccal nerve block injections for my lower teeth and is very worried that they will hurt a lot. I am so scared for all these shots after watching the youtube videos.

Q3) I am very worried that the injections wouldn't numb the teeth completely, especially for the lower once, what happen if these injections could't numb me or didn't work suddenly during the operation like when the are drilling the bone, I had panic attack when thinking of this

Q4) Is there any tips that could find out how good or skillful the dentist is prior to the injection, since a good and bad dentist could make a great difference

Q5) My needle phobia had made me scared for even putting the IV in, I had done some blood drawing before and would like to know how does IV compare to this.

Q6 I am very worried for the recovery process complication like dry socket and it made me very worried.

I'm sorry that the passage had turn this long since my questions kept coming up when I am writing this post, but my parents aren't really understand my fear and think i'm nuts:shame:

Re: I'm a huge needle phobic and very worried for my wisdom teeth removal, some questions.

I'm not a dentist and I have all my wisdom teeth but I will try to answer.

Q1)On a scale of 1 to 10, if numbing gel/paste is used maybe a 1 or 2 - even zero if they are really skilled. Palatal might be a 2 or 3 because I don't think numbing gel works well here. But just a tiny sting and then pressure.

Q2)As above a 1 or 2 and don't watch youtube videos. But as you seem to be getting IV sedation you will likely not be aware of these at all.

Q3)The injections will numb you. If they don't the dentist will give you more.

Q4)Ask others in your area? Look at recommendations on here? Not sure if you have chosen your dentist yet or not?

Q5)The needle in the cannula for IV sedation is very small. You will likely feel a pinch as it goes in. Make sure you are warm so your veins stand out more. It will probably be quite similar to getting blood drawn.

Q6)It's unlikely but do follow your dentist's aftercare advice about sucking, smoking etc.

You'll be fine:thumbsup:. Read the success stories on here - they will help you. And we're a nice bunch - we like to help so keep posting ;)

Coolin

Re: I'm a huge needle phobic and very worried for my wisdom teeth removal, some questions.

Q4) Is there any tips that could find out how good or skillful the dentist is prior to the injection, since a good and bad dentist could make a great difference

Dental injections is like cooking in that the skills of the individual determine the outcome.

@coolin, Thanks for your reply, and I've tried to make appointments with some dentists, however, they told me that their patients did not tolerate well with the palate shots which scare me away. It's just hard to look for such skilled dentists, but your reply at least gave me hope for that. It seems to me that this shot will be worse then bee sting or pinching pinple

@comfortdentist, If i am still in Miami, I will definitely go to your clinic, but now I am having my long vacation in my hometown Asia it's so hard to look for a good dentist since my friends and relatives either avoid dentists at all cost or with no fear at all.

Also, do you help patients extracting non impacted and impacted wisdom teeth?

Hey there.

I just got my wisdom teeth out today and they did some injections while I was awake. I asked him to use some kind of numbing gel first and he said he has a spray...so he sprayed around the injection sites and started. I think I got about 6 injections, and I say I THINK because I didn't even feel some of them. On places where the freezing wasn't there, i felt it. But the trick is to wiggle your toes and take deep breaths. It's over very quickly and after that, it just feels very funny in your mouth. I was nervous, but it turned out I was nervous for nothing because it was super easy :)

Oh and you mentioned the one on the top of your mouth being more painful? Yes, I found that I definitely felt that one because he didn't spray it, but it wasn't very painful. I remember flinching but the pain went away within 5 seconds because i just took a deep breath, and the freezing took effect. It's not bad.

After all the injections were done, I started crying because I was so releaved lol.

Back