• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Gums Won't Stop Receeding I'm losing my front tooth no matter what i do

A

Alex987654321

Hi All

About 4 years ago Dec 2011 to be exact i felt i had a lump behind my 2 front teeth went dentist they said I have some gum disease 1's and 2's mainly no mention of the lump, a month or so later I noticed everytime I pressed against the 2 teeth I would spit blood this scared me so unfortunatly i buried my head in the sand a bit meanwhile my gums were pulling away so much so that I went from lifting my lip and seeing gums and little teeth to no gums and long teeth and the lump although initally hurt now no longer did although is still there.
I finally went back to the dentist July 2015 he said its all gum disease and the lump is genetic or something it happens something to do with blood vessels or something.

I again expressed my concern about the lump and the recession dentist told me they are not related and that although my gums have receded a lot my teeth are still nice and firm.

Anyway 6 weeks on the gums appear to have receded more again I know they have because I can see and feel the difference.

Is it still gum disease In your opinion or could it be something else?

I'm petrified because every time I Google my issue I get HIV as a "probable Cause" everyone keeps telling me i'm mad I've even asked questions on those forums and evey reply says not possible with my "risk Porfile as they call it as this is not possible with me but I can't help but wonder so i'm having panic attacks left right and centre :(

Please help any ideas

Re: My Gums Won't Stop Receeding I'm losing my front tooth no matter what i do

Hi :welcome:

Don't google symptoms it will terrify you. You are best going back to the dentist if things have got worse and let them have another look. Also you could go and see a hygienist as a regular cleaning by them or the dentist will help halt things with your gums for a time. :butterfly:

Hi Carole

Thank for your response i really apreciate it.

your right googling is terrible but i cant help it haha.

I went back a week later to the same dentist his reponse "its the gum disease" suprise suprise and the consequence of the plaque removal.

I know I should of got it sorted 4 years ago but i just hope its not as a result of something more sinister and I can somehow fix this

As someone who suffers with anxiety in general as well as anxiety in regards to my oral health, is it possible that your anxiety about the situation is making it worse than it actually is? I had severe anxiety about gum recession on one of my lower front teeth starting about 8 years ago and its still hanging in there so far! I think sometimes we just let our heads talk us into a panic about something that's not as terrible as we think! I dont know your particular situation, nor am I discounting it in any way, I just know how quickly I personally can turn a rainstorm into a hurricane.

I hope you and your teeth are doing well! :)

Back