• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here - absolutely terrified

K

kristeenL27

Following many years with absoutely no problems with my teeth, I had a really bad experience about 6/7 years ago (a dry socket and infection) and have not been to the dentist since. I am absolutely terrified of even making an appointment, and have emailed around and searched locally, but cannot find anyone who is willing to help me. I am now in pain with a broken back tooth, and a filled tooth which hurts (I suspect the filling needs redoing), and I am at a loss as to know what to do. Add to that a real lack of confidence concerning my teeth which are now quite yellow due to the enamel eroding away, and a lack of funds to pay privately, and I wonder if I am a hopeless case. I am 61 years old, and feel really depressed, I would be grateful for any support or advice. I live in Bournemouth, and there don't seem to be any sympathetic dentists anywhere locally.

Hello - I wanted to say hello and I completely understand your fears, it can be overwhelming to overcome, but it really is possible. I hope someone else will come along and suggest where you might find a dentist.

Once you take the first step, I am sure the fear will diminish and over time, especially once you have met a dentist and had a check up. Is there someone you can take with you for the first time? You will feel so much better after you take the first step, which you clearly want to, which is great.

Hi KristeenL7,

I am not surprised to hear you were put off by a dry socket, they can be really, seriously unpleasant. I can recommend Samir Jivraj of Charminster House Dental Practice in Bournemouth.

Samir worked for me for many years before taking over this practice with his wife Saffina. He is skilled, compassionate, caring and very honest. I have no doubt he will be able to help you.
Good luck

Lincoln